Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: **Help** iPhone 3GS won’t update baseband or jailbreak via PC **GOING CRAZY**

Unhappy **Help** iPhone 3GS won’t update baseband or jailbreak via PC **GOING CRAZY**
    Hi All,
    I’ve been trying to figure out how to update my baseband so that I can unlock my iPhone 3GS for the past month…arughhhhh….. My sister gave me this iPhone 3GS because I’m heading to Asia for a few weeks and thought it would be useful to have a working iPhone but its been a pain trying to figure out why it wont jailbreak or update my baseband. I’ve jailbroken my iTouch, my fiancée iPad and friends iTouchs so I’m aware of the jailbreaking process. Hopefully someone can help me trouble shoot this sucker

Detail Info:
    iPhone 3GS
    Current Baseband: 05.16.02
    IPSW Firmware: 4.3.3 (8J2) **iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw**
    OLD BOOT ROM

Problem:
    When running the jailbreak program REDSNOW everything goes like normal…it goes through Exploiting with limera …uploading first stage…waiting for reboot….then my iPhone reboots back to the homescreen and the iPhone is back to its normal previous state like nothing happened.

I’ve tried:
    - Tried to change USB ports
    - Tried to put iPhone back into DFU mode
    - Tried other jailbreak programs (redsnow, snowbreeze, Pwnage) all different version too
    - Tired window 7 pc and changed the compatibility setting and start as admin
    - Tired work PC which is XP
    - Tired my parent MAC with Pwnage
    - Tired to update BASEBAND only
    - Tired to install CYDIA only

I was able to get cydia via jailbreakme but that doesn’t help me unlock the phone since my current baseband is unlockable.

Any Suggestions?

Is there a way to update the baseband with cydia?

Pleeeeaseeeeeeee help
    Last edited by bdelariva; 2011-08-13 at 01:05 AM.

Also just tried:
    - Downgraded Firmware to 4.1 via TinyUmbrella

So currently I'm on IPSW Firmware 4.1 and still experiencing the same problem

Arugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Did u see the baseband in settings after updating it?

Still on 05.16.02 booooooooooooo

Bump......Need pro advice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Uhh this is weird ..Check ur pm

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you're still on 4.1, use Redsnow 0.9.6rc8. Will both jailbreak and install iPod BB. Enter pwnd-DFU using Redsnow count-down timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    If you're still on 4.1, use Redsnow 0.9.6rc8. Will both jailbreak and install iPod BB. Enter pwnd-DFU using Redsnow count-down timer.
    - Redsnow 0.9.6.rc8 didnt work on my 4.1 Firmware....Same Results as Above
    - Custom 4.3.3 Firmware from Xtacy PM didnt works <<<< Half *** this but going to try to install Xtacy custom firmware 100% tomorrow

Arughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*****Im going to try the Redsnow 0.9.6.rc at my work PC with XP and see if it works
    Last edited by bdelariva; 2011-08-15 at 06:47 AM.

Another FAIL JAILBREAK

- Tried Redsnow 0.9.6.rc8 on my work PC (which is XP) and still didnt work. (4.1 firmware IPSW)
    - Tired Custom 4.3.3 Firmware from Xtacy PM and it didnt work either. My iPhone wouldnt restore to 4.3.3. But I dont know how a Custom Firmware would have fix my baseband since your baseband cant be updated with a Custom Firmware.

How about we go back to the basics.

Why would my iPhone reboot back to the HOMESCREEN after it does its self reboot out of the DFU mode? It’s the limera1n exploit not working?

Copy of my fOrecast from iH8snOw
    -untitled.jpg

Step by Step what I'm doing on my work PC (with XP) and iTunes 10.2.2:
    - Run Redsnow
    - Select Browse and pick my firmware (iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw)
    - Redsnow ask me if my iPhone 3gs is a NEWER MODEL
    - I select "NO" because its the old model (old bootroom)
    - HIT NEXT
    - Redsnow ask me for my options and only check mark "install ipad baseball" and it give me a warning which i click "YES"
    - I unselect Install Cydia because I'm only concerned about the baseband
    - HIT NEXT
    - I make sure my iPhone is in the OFF position and plugged in
    - Hit NEXT
    - Redsnow instructs me to put it into DFU mode and I follow them.

Redsnow then shows the following:
    - Feteching Ipad Baseband......Waiting for 3gs.......Exploiting with limera1n......Uploading stage...... Waiting for reboot

THEN......nothing...my iPhone reboots back to its original state with the same icon I've installed previosuly...so its just back to normal

Any other PRO ADVICE???

My trip to Asia is in 3 weeks and I will be grateful for anyone with any helpful ideas/suggestion

I'm all ears
    Last edited by bdelariva; 2011-08-16 at 11:51 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ideas:
    Check your hosts file ... delete all lines that contain gs.apple.com, reboot computer.
    Before attempting redsn0w & install the iPad BB, start from a known state - a fresh 4.1 restore.
    For 4.1, redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 is correct. Right click on redsn0w, select properties, check run as administrator. OK, OK.

On a dual-CPU XP, there were discussions about setting 'Affinity' to a single-CPU. I don't know how to do that, but it helped at least one prior user.

And finally,
    If you have 4.3.3 SHSH blobs, redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 also includes iPad BB install.

What is the "iPhone reboots back to its original state with the same icon" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Ideas:
    Check your hosts file ... delete all lines that contain gs.apple.com, reboot computer.
    Before attempting redsn0w & install the iPad BB, start from a known state - a fresh 4.1 restore.
    For 4.1, redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 is correct. Right click on redsn0w, select properties, check run as administrator. OK, OK.

On a dual-CPU XP, there were discussions about setting 'Affinity' to a single-CPU. I don't know how to do that, but it helped at least one prior user.

And finally,
    If you have 4.3.3 SHSH blobs, redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 also includes iPad BB install.

What is the "iPhone reboots back to its original state with the same icon" ??

Going to try the new IDEAs right now.

What I meant when I said "iPhone reboots back to its original state with the same icon" When I say "Same Icon" I meant the APPS that I downloaded (ESPN, CNN, EBAY). So my iPhone APPS are staying on the iPhone.

I guess I just wanted to emphasize that nothing happens to my iPhone when I attempt to jailbreak it or update the baseband

THANKS MES for trying to help me out.....I really appreciate it
    Last edited by bdelariva; 2011-08-17 at 02:16 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I see. You're trying to update the BB without doing a restore first?

Guess it should work, but when all else fails .....

What do you mean when you say "Check your hosts file ... delete all lines that contain gs.apple.com"

Also,
    I just realized that I can't run redsnow as ADMIN on my work PC because I dont have admin rights

Also,
    I can't set AFFINITY because I need admin rights

On a side note: (on my work PC)
    - I tired a fresh 4.1 restore and then redsnow === No good
    - I tired a fresh 4.3.3 restore and then redsnow === No good

**This is probably pointless since I dont have admin rights.....dohhhhh**

So I'm going to have to try this later tonight on my laptop (with Windows 7) at home

Its my birthday today and I bet you can guess what my birthday wish is going to be ..hahahahaha

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Happy Birthday. Go party, have fun. This can wait until another day

Booooo.....after having Taco Tuesday and a few beers....and one birthday wish....still FAILED to update my baseband

This time I:
    - Deleted all apple host files (figured out how to do this out via youtube)
    - Restarted Laptop (windows 7)
    - Restored Fresh 4.3.3 via itunes
    - Ran Redsnow as Window XP 3 service pack compatible and ran as ADMIN
    - In taskmanager set Redsnow AFFINITY to CPU1
    - Proceed to update BASEBAND like normal

and FAILEDDDDDDD arugh

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Very odd. It sounds like a software problem ... but it's acting like a hardware problem. I'm stumped

Oh ... Time for more B-Day beers
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-17 at 07:23 AM.