Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck in recovery loop

Default Stuck in recovery loop
    Hi,

I recently bought a second hand iphone 3g on Ebay

The phone is stuck on recovery mode , each time i turn it on the itunes logo appears and i am notified via itunes it stuck in recovery mode.
    I assume the phone has been jailbroken and baseband updated to 6.15 as when doing a restore i get the 1015 error .

I want to restore it using custom firmware but as the phone is stuck in recovery mode i cant get the phone into DFU mode. ( each time i try the power button / home button sequence) it just goes straight to the itunes recovery logo, not allowing me to enter dfu mode.

so what i am asking is

a) can i somehow enter DFU mode from this state? is there some software out there that can automatically take you out of recovery mode and into DFU mode

b) Is there any other way i can restore to custom firmware other than putting the device into DFU mode?

I hope i have explained the problem enough.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

To use a cFW a manual pwned DFU mode must be done or iTunes won't accept the restore to cFW. Any software and whatnot that forces a device into DFU likely won't do a pwned DFU but just a standard DFU which wouldn't help you anyhow. You really need to be able to get into pwned DFU mode and you're right, with the iPad bb, a cFW is required.

HOWEVER, it's an iPhone 3G so there is hope

Simply download a stock 3.1.3 ipsw, open iTunes, shift+restore to the stock 3.1.3. When you receive error 1015, open TinyUmbrella and select the "exit recovery" option (not fix recovery) and it'll kick your phone out of recovery mode and boot it up.

Then JB as normal with Redsn0w 0.9.4 (you must use a 3.1.2 stock ipsw for redsn0w so download that too along with your 3.1.3 that you will be restoring to)

Edit: If you want to upgrade to 4.2.1 again (I don't recommend it for an iPhone 3G as it has pretty poor performance on iOS 4 but it's up to you) after you get on stock 3.1.3 just restore to a custom 4.2.1 after doing a pwned DFU mode and you're good to go.

Green Apple
    Thanks

T saved my @ss

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

All fixed? Awesome if so

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    All fixed? Awesome if so
    fixed, jail broke.. thx for checking.. tiny umbrella did the trick