Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my 3GS hacktivated or activated?

Default Is my 3GS hacktivated or activated?
    Hello,

I bought a used 3GS, and realized too late it is a jailbroken & unlocked one, because mostly it works fine (I'm an iPhone noob). So I read a lot of forums and tried to understand all that stuff...

It's an 8GB model, sold january 2011, FW is 4.3.3 and baseband is the iPad one, 06.15.00.
    GPS doesn't work, but push notifications do. No trouble syncing with iTunes.

Since I read a lot about problems with hacktivated 06.15.00-phones (battery drain, mobile data transmissions, heat), I'd like to find out if my 3GS was regularly activated or hacktivated. In case of the latter, I'd want to use SAM - but I wouldn't want to undo a regular activation.
    Is there any way to find out about that? Does SAM tell me?

Thanks a lot for your hints!

-- Some more info on the device:
    iPhone 3GS 8GB
    Jan 2011
    Vodafone netlock, I use Eplus (German providers)
    FW 4.3.3 (8J2)
    baseband 06.15.00
    stored SHSH: 4.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5
    unlocked via ultrasn0w 1.2.3
    no pushdoctor or similar app installed

Ok, I downloaded SAM to find out about the hacktivation/activation state of my phone.
    Installed & opened SAM, and it says: "WildcardActivated". On the utilities page it reads "Push Utils: Disabled".

Since I didn't make SAM do anything, does this mean that my 3GS was activated with a genuine Sim? So it has none of the push certificate related problems?

And, can I uninstall SAM again with no risk?

Thank you!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If a phone is activated with an official SIM, PUSH should be working. Likely it's hactivated.
    A non-working PUSH is a very common problem with battery drain.
    It's OK to uninstall SAM and start over. If you have an authorized-SIM, that's the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    If a phone is activated with an official SIM, PUSH should be working. Likely it's hactivated.
    A non-working PUSH is a very common problem with battery drain.
    It's OK to uninstall SAM and start over. If you have an authorized-SIM, that's the best way.
    Well, thing is, I don't know if it was activated with an authorized SIM, hacktivated or SAMed. Push works without any tools. I can't tell if battery life is bad, it's my first iPhone.
    Like I said, I installed SAM to find out, and it said "wildcard", without me doing anything, and it was not installed before.
    Last edited by doofus; 2011-08-10 at 06:51 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Is the phone working ok? If it is, then it's not really important how it was activated.
    With no tell-tale hactivation signs (like SAM installed, etc), I'm not sure how to tell.

PUSH is the biggest issue with battery drain. If it's working then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-10 at 06:55 PM.

Hi Mes,
    unfortunately I seem to have messed with it already... I uninstalled SAM, and now I get the "itunes needs to check for an update to the carrier settings" message.

Maybe that's interesting for others too:
    The 3GS seems to have been originally activated with an authorized SIM. Installing SAM alone has replaced that activation, WITHOUT me choosing to! I never pressed the "stockification" button or anything.
    As far as I can tell, the phone works as much as before... but now I get that message everytime I connect the phone to iTunes. Very annoying, why does SAM still mess with the activation when the user selects none of the software's options?

Guess I shouldn't allow iTunes to "check for an update to the carrier settings" if I don't want to risk having a locked device, right?

Thanks for your answers!
    Last edited by doofus; 2011-08-10 at 07:59 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Honestly, I used SAM only a couple times in the past. It seemed confusing to me.
    I do remember saying yes to iTunes carrier update. Nothing bad happened.

With Apples relentless quest to eliminate jailbreaking and the various issues that creates, I gave up and bought an authorized SIM on eBay. It was the 'best' investment I ever made with my iPhone. Everything plays very nice with an authorized SIM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

doofus (2011-08-10)

I guess you're right, I should just get an authorized SIM... will a prepaid one do?
    One more question regarding the iTunes carrier update - nothing bad happened although you had an unlocked iPhone and the "wrong" SIM? Cause maybe I should just risk it...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The one I tested it with was an AT&T locked phone unlocked w/ultrasn0w.

I'm not sure pre-paid one will work ... in some areas/countries I'm sure it will.