Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 1601 when restoring to stock 4.3.5 on jailbroken 4.2.1

Question Error 1601 when restoring to stock 4.3.5 on jailbroken 4.2.1
    So I have jailbroken 4.2.1 many moons ago and I want to upgrade to the latest stock 4.3.5. Here's what I did:

- started TSS Server with TinyUmbrella
    - use iReb to put it pwned DFU
    - shift clicked Restore in iTunes and selected the stock FW

But I kept getting the 1601 error. I've read some people fixed that error by killing the iTunes process when getting the error, reopening iTunes and tried again. I've tried that as well but still didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

If you are trying to go to a stock 4.3.5 you should not be using tiny umbrella during the restore process.
    Open tiny umbrella, click advanced, deselect the box that says set hosts to cydia on exit. Then close tiny umbrella.

Then you can just press update or restore in itunes and have itunes do the process for you. No need for tiny umbrella or ireb.

Be aware there is only a tethered jailbreak for 4.3.5 if you do plan on jailbreaking again after.

Thanks for the reply!

At first I tried to do go in normal DFU mode and tried to do a restore/update through iTunes. I kept getting the 3194 Error in iTunes. So I google'd around and found I should be using TinyUmbrella? Do you mean I don't actually need TinyUmbrella?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

yes, you dont need tiny umbrella. But first you need to uncheck that box in tiny umbrella so that your hosts are pointed to Apple. Just follow what I said above and you should be able to restore to 4.3.5.

Thanks Simon! I will try it when I get home!

Thanks! I got it to update the FW. I think part of the problem was because I have Windows XP running in a virtual machine. It some how disconnected without me knowing...

Now I'm trying to restore from backup and I'm getting the "iTunes could not restore because the iPhone disconnected" problem...may be it's related....I've left the restoration over night but still didn't complete....

did u fix it ? i have the same problem i disconected the battery for a while , but the same , 1601 when i try to restore and black screen

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuelforlife View Post
    did u fix it ? i have the same problem i disconected the battery for a while , but the same , 1601 when i try to restore and black screen
    Need more info about your device , firmware and shsh blob