Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my iPhone bricked?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Is my iPhone bricked?
    I "froze" my iPhone today at work. I unlocked it and right away the screen became inaccessible. I tried to lock the phone in order to unlock it again, but the phone didn't respond. The time however did update and the volume buttons were working. I then went on to restore the phone, and once that was done, I was given an error telling me that the backup process had failed. So now I'm here stuck with my iPhone displaying the iTunes connection display.

I have tried changing my time zone, putting the phone into DFU mode, jailbreaking, and nothing bypasses the backup process failed error. What should I do now? I have an iPhone 2G running the latest firmware 3.1.3. I'm running short on money so I won't be picking up an iPhone 4 any time soon, but it might just be time to upgrade to a iPhone 3Gs.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No problem. 2G are easy Here's the link to the complete restore jailbreak unlock video guide on YouTube

‪3.1.3 Jailbreak/Unlock Iphone 2g, 3g & Ipod Touch 1st gen and 2nd gen with Redsnow‬‏ - YouTube

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I should add that I have AT&T service. And the phone was jail-broken when it "froze." I also already tried using redsn0w and creating a custom firmware upgrade, and did manage to install it onto the iPhone, but the backup error sure enough occured again, thus leaving me stuck in the iTunes display.
    Last edited by mkvelidadon; 2011-08-08 at 07:36 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't need a custom firmware. Restore to stock 3.1.3. No harm, no foul. Your SIM will activate. Redsnow rc4 to jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Once I restore my iPhone through iTunes, and thus stuck in the iPhone display, I am able to make outgoing calls using the emergency call function. And am also able to receiving incoming calls. I'm watching the YouTube video, and going to give that a shot. I'll be back with an update in a bit.

EDIT: Finally! Thanks a lot for the help, Mes. I did try before to do a fresh jailbreak, and did so using redsn0w, but right after the firmware was created and I was told to put my iPhone into DFU mode, I closed down the program and tried using the modded firmware file directly from iTunes to jailbreak my phone. Not remembering that redsn0w needed to remain open. I did it again following the video's instructions and now have a jailbroken iPhone.

Sad thing is all my text messages, contacts, notes and so on have been erased as this is my first time hooking up my iPhone to my new PC, and after the first failed attempt to restore my iPhone, I erased the only backup I had in hopes of a solution, which didn't help. Anyways again thanks a lot!
    Last edited by mkvelidadon; 2011-08-08 at 07:54 AM.