Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: carrier successfully unlocks iphone 3g, a few questions

Default carrier successfully unlocks iphone 3g, a few questions
    I got Rogers to unlock the phone so I could use my Fido sim. The rep said I didn't need to restore and I only needed to sync it in itunes to get the "Congrats, your phone is unlocked". Never got that message but i did recall modifying the itunes hosts file and using a cfw that I made with pwnage tool.

So i restored it to ofw, got the activating screen on the phone, got the itunes iphone is unlocked screen, then a text message saying "You have attempted to use a data application without a data plan. For options, click here. fido.ca/blahblahblah" No app was ever opened? a few kilobytes were sent and recieved (must've been from activating and downloading the fido settings). disabled data and 3g after that. I don't have a data plan, don't intend to get a data plan.

Was that a bad idea to use my sim to activate the phone? Should I have used my sisters old Rogers sim (the old sim has the same phone number on her ip4) to activate it instead since she already has a data plan and everything else.

If I were to jb and/or restore to cfw again, should I create a hacktivated one or non-activated one?

sorry, tons of questions! i'll still a noob when it comes to iphones!

Unlocked iPhone 4
    iOS 6.1.3
    Unlocked iPhone 3G

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It doesnt matter which SIM is used to activate. It would still tell you the same thing once you put your SIM in.

Since it is officially carrier unlocked you would want to avoid hacktivating, using a SIM to activate eliminates any side effects that occur with hacktivation.

As for the data, be careful if you don't have a block on it through your carrier. Or you might get a lovely surprise of data charges that you may have accidentally accessed without knowledge. I'm not sure what your carrier's policy is regarding your plan (like in the US AT&T will force a data plan on all iPhone/smartphone users if they catch them trying to go without one) but if Fido is ok with you using a smartphone w/o a data plan you should be fine so long as you ensure data is not being used on your device. Turning off data *should* be good enough but if it were me I'd ask my carrier if allowed to block data access.

I just jailbroke it with redsn0w. so does it overwrite my official carrier activation? would i have to deactivate it in redsn0w and then activate it again in itunes?

is there a way to create a custom firmware that disables data and 3g by default?

I have a unlocked/modded HTC Touch which I used for a couple of years and never got anyone harrassing me to get a data plan. Hopefully, that's the same case with the iphone.

Unlocked iPhone 4
    iOS 6.1.3
    Unlocked iPhone 3G

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ollie williams View Post
    I just jailbroke it with redsn0w. so does it overwrite my official carrier activation? ....
    Activate is an option in redsn0w. If it is selected activation is done. iTunes doesn't ask again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie williams View Post
    ..is there a way to create a custom firmware that disables data and 3g by default?
    No. Almost anything is possible, but this has never been done.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You already activated it with the SIM, redsn0w won't do any activation since it is already done.

You can just turn off data by going to your settings and turning it off. There isn't a need to do anything special for that.

The iPhone can be different some carriers just don't want iPhone users going without a data plan, but like I said I don't know how Canadian carriers are like. US carriers are quite stingy especially towards the iPhone