Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Do I Transfer Files/info from 2G to 3GS?

Default How Do I Transfer Files/info from 2G to 3GS?
    Hi! I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I have an iphone 2G, jailbroken 3.1.2, that my friend gave me a couple of years ago. This same friend is passing down his 3GS to me now, jailbroken 4.3.3, and I'm in the process of transferring everything over.

I've managed to get most of my apps to transfer....only missing a few out of 86. I've also managed to get all my voice memo's files to transfer over. As for photos, for some reason, only half of the photos have transferred despite multiple synching attempts. As for the rest of the files, like contacts, texts, notes, music files in my musicstudio app, and other files in other apps.....it's a NO GO.

Can anyone help me with this? Is there a way to transfer these items? I run a business and have a lot of files I need to hang onto, and would be so seriously bummed out if I lose everything. What's the procedure?

Additional Info: I have two computers, a notebook and a desktop, both PC's. I've DL'd the latest iTunes on both computers, updated apps, synched old phone to both computers, synched new phone to both computers, explored doing "restore" on new phone, but window popped up stating it would also download new version of iphone software, which obviously would not be a good thing.

Any ideas to help this frustrated girl? I'm grateful for any tips!

Pam

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

PkgBackup is a good utility for backing up stock Apple app data (Calendar, SMS, AddressBook, photos, etc), AppStore app data, Cydia app data, and more. It's very flexible for both backups and restores.

PkgBackup needs to be installed on both. Also link both to the same DropBox account.
    Backup the original (I would save everything ).... then restore (carefully select what you want) to the new device.

Thanks for the tip Mes. Another question if I may.....

My friend says the apps I'm having problems with are native apps. Will PkgBackup work with these? Also, when I initially attempted to restore, a window came up stating that I would lose everything and that the new IOS would be installed....which obviously I do not want to happen!.....does PkgBackup perform a hack or something, that prevents this from happening? I'm newbie with the jailbreak thing so forgive me if I'm asking "dumb" questions. =)

Thank you soooo much.

Pam

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThymeTravel View Post
    ...with are native apps. Will PkgBackup work with these? ...
    Yes
    ...does PkgBackup perform a hack or something, that prevents this from happening?...
    No. PkgBackup backups / restores data.
    ...Also, when I initially attempted to restore, a window came up stating that I would lose everything and that the new IOS would be installed....which obviously I do not want to happen!........
    A restore deletes everything. That's the reason to have backups.
    iTunes contains your apps, music, etc. Easy to restore with a sync.
    PkgBackup can backup and restore most of the rest.

unfortunately cydia is no longer opening. just keeps crashing.

unfortunately cydia is no longer opening. just keeps crashing.
    Try opening cydia in safemode, u can get to this by using SBSettings and click power

Else try re-jailbreaking since all jailbreaking does really is install cydia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I restored my phone and didn't do the research about how to back up Cydia apps, didn't know about PkgBackup etc. What I did is just copied the entire root folder to my laptop with iPhone Explorer, and figured I could just copy the apps and media a wanted back using the same program or Netatalk or whatever. But iPhone Explorer isn't working for apps: can't paste them or drag them from the backup folder into the UI. Can anyone recommend a course of action in this situation? I have all the files from my old jailbroken phone on my Mac (PPC), and want to put them back on the same phone (now restored). Any help most appreciated.

What SSH program r u using?

Cyberduck or Fugu or PhoneView or PhoneDisk?