Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to restore a jailbroken/unlocked iphone and doing it over again?

Default How to restore a jailbroken/unlocked iphone and doing it over again?
    I have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3G
    Model: MB702LL
    Modem Firmware: 04.26.08

Its aleady unlocked and jailbroken however I feel that the firmware is very old, cydia doesnt load and neither does **********... I wanted to do a clean install of the new firmware while keeping it unlocked and jailbreaking it again. How should I do this?

I have jailbroken and unlocked an iphone before but it was a long time ago and i forgot how to do it. I would appreciate some help on this , thank you !

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadizo View Post
    I have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3G
    Model: MB702LL
    Modem Firmware: 04.26.08

Its aleady unlocked and jailbroken however I feel that the firmware is very old, cydia doesnt load and neither does **********... I wanted to do a clean install of the new firmware while keeping it unlocked and jailbreaking it again. How should I do this?

I have jailbroken and unlocked an iphone before but it was a long time ago and i forgot how to do it. I would appreciate some help on this , thank you !
    The original 3G can go as far as 4.2.1 fw. I wouldn't recommend it as it runs pretty horribly on the 3G. But if you are destined to want to upgrade and keep the baseband then you can always use sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware while preserving the baseband.

Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 Jailbreak 4.2.1 / 4.2.6 on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch | Redmond Pie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

nadizo (2011-07-30)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1 If you stay at 3.1.3, use a stock firmware load + redsn0w to jailbreak. Ultrasn0w to unlock.

If you go to 4.2.1 ... a 3G will be a little sluggish.
    ... after a few tweaks & mods, it will be much worse ...

MES- is there any way you can tell me exactly step by step how I can do that please?

i think the firmware i have now is Version 3.0 (7A341) so I want to just upgrade to the most stable best version than unlock and jailbreak, can you tell me how to do it please? Thank you also to the previos poster for the help!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You've been advised two choices. Go to 3.1.3 or 4.2.1. The procedures are different as are the requirements.
    This is a good guide. Lots to read, but very good information to know before starting.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/737...g-3gs-4-a.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

nadizo (2011-07-30)

Mes thank you so much for that info. Can you just tell me which part of the guide I should read for my situation. If i wanted to get the 3.1.3 firmware and jailbreak it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do you see "Phone 3G USERS, HERE'S HOW TO DOWNGRADE TO 3.1.x"? Start there.
    Then use redsn0w0.9.4. Select 3.1.2 ipsw, install Cydia, unlock, and follow the rest carefully till finished.
    The Phone should reboot and be activated. Install Ultrasn0w (via Cydia) to unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Here you go. This is how to jailbreak the 3.1.3 fw using redsn0w on your 3G

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Edit: ^ What Mes said

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1

Thank you guys so far for the help, im having a problem now with Cydia. I opened it and got to the packages sectin and it said "loading data" but it didnt get out of it...

i restarted the iphoen and now when i open cydia it just said "loading data" all the time...

what should I do? i didnt even get a chance to download ultrasnow to unlock it...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

IMHO stopped it too soon and there may be no good solution but to start again from a fresh restore. I just jailbroke a 2G on 3.1.3 (runs as slow as your 3G ) .... When I loaded Cydia the first time, it ran and ran and ran ... for about 45 (or more minutes). I was tempted to interrupt it and reload but instead wanted to test if it would ever finish. Well ... it finally did. This was my second attempt. First time I forgot to disable the phone sleep and it turned off in the middle.

so should i disable phone sleep? how do i do that...?

should i let it do its thing or just power off the iphone and turn it on again and try??

3g is horrible,, its my dads phone i have 3gs and its a huge difference...3g is slowwwww

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadizo View Post
    so should i disable phone sleep? how do i do that...?...
    Settings / General / Auto-Lock .... set to Never

Cydia is definitely slow on the 2G and 3G. But it generally finishes if given enough time.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-01 at 05:03 PM.

wat about ultrasnow i just installed it and after it installed

it asked to reload springboard i did that , and now all i see is a black screen with the reloading data symbol on it not the words just the circle that spins...its been doing this for about 10 minutes and i was wondering if i can restart my iphone manually or wait for it to finish

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's a different issue. It occurs after Cydia has loaded and installed something that requires a reboot or respring.
    Here's the fix: Let it run for 10 minutes then power off / power on. It should be ok.

In the future, when Cydia offers the reboot or respring button. Stop.
    Instead .... do a hard power cycle. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to cycle power.

alright i got it...i just did a hard reset and it worked...its now jailbrokena and unlocked. thank you again all for your help!

i wanted to ask 1 last question, how can i add folders on the 3g if its possible? is there somethingi can download from cydia?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My suggestion ... don't even try. 2G/3G phones have limited memory. Adding 'Categories (via Cydia)' takes away valuable memory. Each and every Cydia tweak subtracts memory and slows it down. You can try ... but understand the consequences. Limit your tweaks to the bare minimum for optimal speed.

Note: Unlike apps, most tweaks use memory all the time. When an app finishes, it completely frees it's memory.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-01 at 05:21 PM.

ok thank you so much for all your help! i really wouldnt be able to do any of this without you or any of you other guys as well! thanks again!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're welcome. Congratulations on a job well done

You can also thank members by pressing the Thanks button.
    Update: Ahhh. A recheck shows you found it already
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-01 at 05:32 PM.