Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What exactly is SAM and where I can find more info about it?

Default What exactly is SAM and where I can find more info about it?
    In this topic: Jailbreak terms 101, special tool is mentioned - SAM (Tool to properly activate hacktivated phones so that push notifications work and there is no excessive battery drain). Actually it was another surprise for me that there might be problems during the activation. I was looking to unlock the iPhone and use it with my local mobile operator. Should I be worried with activation and SAM? By the way topic above is the only on the forum (according to search) mentioning SAM keyword. Any additional info on this? Anywhere?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

jayarjo (2011-07-29)

@xtacy, thanks. And how do I know that it drains my battery. Is it immediately noticeable? Like draining completely within the hour?

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol? That question is weird. SAM DOESNOT DRAIN YOUR BATTERY.

Not SAM, but activation?.. I mean how do I know that I require SAM?

Thanks

If phone is Hactivated IMO u need SAM

Can you advice some good reading on this topic somewhere? SAM's site seems a bit too concise.

Thanks

It has everything u need to understand. I don't think there is anything more to it. Google if u want technical aspects.

This one here has brought more light on the subject: How to Hactivate Your iPhone with Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM). However I didn't understand why I need to use redsn0w (I remember there was a notice in one of topics, which said not to use redsn0w, 'cause it doesn't preserve baseband)...

@xtacy, would you mind to answer one more question? I have my iPhone unlocked and I do not use AT&T. Actually I'm on the other part of the globe and using service of some noname mobile operator. Does it have sense to activate, SAM and everything? How do I activate iPhone in my case?
    Last edited by jayarjo; 2011-07-29 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks

Yeah so that push notifications work fine and u don have battery problems . If u have ur att sim then it's fine

So, I just have to put my AT&T SIM back into iPhone, activate it. Then put back my noname SIM and that will do?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Redsn0w allows the "deactivate" option, it isn't used in this case for jailbreaking. However, I believe SAM has been updated to no longer need redsn0w, so that's irrelevant. If you have an official SIM then you can avoid all the hassle of hacktivating and deactivating. If you don't, and you need to preserve the baseband to unlock, you would jb with sn0wbreeze by creating a custom firmware with it that is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by jayarjo View Post
    So, I just have to put my AT&T SIM back into iPhone, activate it. Then put back my noname SIM and that will do?
    Yes, put SIM in, open iTunes to allow it to activate, then you're set to put your desired SIM in.

This resource here: How do I activate my AT&T Apple iPhone? says that I should get a "cheery window" once I connect the iPhone, but I do not get it, even with AT&T SIM inside... maybe it's because I'm not logging in with iPhone previous owners iTunes Store account (I bought this one used on eBay)?

Not sure where I should activate this from...

Thanks

Do as we say.. U know half knowledge is more dangerous then no knowledge

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It doesn't matter if you're logged in to anything or not, it should just activate. Either try another SIM or your phone is not locked to AT&T and is locked to another carrier.

@xtacy, well... I did as you said, removed my SIM, inserted AT&T one, that came with the iPhone, clicked De-activate in SAM and... nothing. iPhone is connected to iTunes. I reconnected couple of times waiting for "cheery window" to pop-up. But it didn't come up Where do I activate it from?

On the other hand I see some options in SAM to select country and carier by hand and I've in fact found that "noname" carier in the list. Is there a manual to this thing anywhere. Won't it help if I just select them by hand?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Using the "deactivate" option is not going to activate your device. It is meant to undo hacktivation. Official SIM card activation happens only in iTunes. If you're not succeeding with iTunes, then my previous post still stands.

I'm not understanding what state your device is in. Is it on the emergency call screen or what?

Thanks

There is no cheery window pop up nowadays !!!!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you're on the emergency call screen, you put the official SIM in, open iTunes to activate, and your iPhone will have a popup to say "waiting for activation" and then it will activate and pop up with "activated" or something like that. That's what it is supposed to do.

Ok, now I disconnected iPhone, removed AT&T SIM, inserted it back, reconnected USB cable and got "SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" message...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast