Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What exactly is SAM and where I can find more info about it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Then ur phone is not att is it ?

@i.Annie you said:

If you don't, and you need to preserve the baseband to unlock, you would jb with sn0wbreeze by creating a custom firmware with it that is activated.
    I do not have sn0wbreeze, I'm on mac, but I already created custom IPSW and had that Activate checkbox checked, and Jailbroke my iPhone with it is it what you mean?.. nah.. I got completely confused...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Might want to check what carrier that phone is locked to...

Quote Originally Posted by jayarjo View Post
    @i.Annie you said:

I do not have sn0wbreeze, I'm on mac, but I already created custom IPSW and had that Activate checkbox checked, and Jailbroke my iPhone with it is it what you mean?.. nah.. I got completely confused...
    It's the same thing. I assume everyone is on Windows bc I rarely encounter people who use Mac. PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze do the same thing.

So what did I do when I chose to activate in Pwnage tool?.. I checked eBay page of this iPhone once more and it says: "APPLE IPHONE 3GS 16GB BLACK JAILBROKEN AT&T IN BOX", so I guess it should be AT&T after all. Maybe I shouldn't had to check activate in Pwnage tool if I had that SIM? It's just that I assumed that this SIM had no real value in this country, where no AT&T is around anyway, so I thought it's the same as not having any official carier...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok but wait I'm still not understanding what state your phone is in right now. Is it on the emergency call screen?

Thanks

Annie is 'perplexed' lol

Hm... emergency call screen...? what is that? recovery mode? My iPhone is in regular state, JailBroken with Pwnage Tool and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I'm able to use it, receive and make calls and everything. I wouldn't bother any further, but then I suddenly read about that SAM thing and that ultrasn0w drains battery and iPhone makes lot's of extra requests over the network, etc. So I decided I would install that too, but then there's no manual... only nobrainer step-by-step tutorials, that do not work

Thanks

As I said half knowledge is much more dangerous then no knowledge

Ok guys... I feel like wasting your time Can you tell me just one more thing - every SAM step-by-step guide ends with a note that if iTunes says something about unsupported SIM then I will have to manually select something else, period, tutorials end... However what if I change method from Automatic to by Country and Carrier, choose my Country and my operator (is this procedure described anywhere?), will that help somehow?

More Information > ActivationState however still says Unactivated, even after I do this... nah...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok well of course you're not seeing an activation screen. When we refer to "activate" it's when the phone is in the emergency call screen and needs to be activated. Your device is already activated via hacktivation. So what exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish at this point? To eliminate your battery drain or?

Thanks

http://cdn.iphoneheat.com/wp-content...activation.jpg

This is what we are trying to say.

To eliminate your battery drain or?
    Yes. This one bothers me very much, as I will need to stay in the field for long periods of time.

What should I do?

Ok, I followed this guide here: Fix SIM Card Not Supported Error While Activating Your iPhone with SAM and was able to reach WildcardActivated state.

And made sure that Push Notifications work following this one here: Push Notifications Not Working on iOS 4.3.3? (Here’s How To Fix).
    Last edited by jayarjo; 2011-07-29 at 11:19 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

To be perfectly honest if that were me I'd just make a new custom firmware and restore again, then redo SAM. like I said prior, sometimes things don't always work on the first try so trying again can possibly relieve the issue.

In my opinion that SAM thing lacks simple manual, having short but insightful intro and small descriptions for all parameters. I've read lot's of various tuts and guides and everyone seems to be lacking understanding of what exactly SAM does and how, so they just copycat each other, repeat general phrases and do steps that they do not really understand.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's true, I don't know how to use SAM I just know when it should be used. I've always officially activated to save myself this headache

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12