Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS 4.1 Upgrade issues

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question iPhone 3GS 4.1 Upgrade issues
    Hi everyone
    I recently went abroad and since realised my iphone 3gs was locked I got it unlocked...think they used Cydia
    Anyway after returning back home and trying to upgrade the software I got 1015 error .... anyway after 2 days of trying I managed to get the phone working again so its now running Ver 4.1
    Now I have NO idea how I can get it upgraded to latest versions of the iphone software without messing the phone.
    I tried stuff someone told me and it mucked up my phone again and again I somehow (no idea how, random pressing of buttons!) got it restored to version 4.1 again
    Now I am too scared to even touch my phone as cannot deal with the issues its throwing at me.
    Just wished the guy who unlocked it had told me it may give me issues updating software, I would not have done it then
    Is there even a way to relock it and get rid of the jailbreaking whatever he used off my phone totally?
    Any help would be appreciated ... its hard for me since 1. i am a woman!! 2. not very tech savvy about the whole locking/unlocking/jailbreaking thing

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Did he unlock it by using the 6.15.00 ipad baseband?

Go into the phone and in the settings go to General/About.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom and tell us what the modem firmware says.

If indeed it is the 6.15.00 modem firmware (baseband) then I'm afraid you're stuck with that as there is no way to downgrade from that on a 3GS.
    Furthermore you will no longer be able to update normally through iTunes. You will have to create and use custom firmwares. Sorry

There are plenty of guides out there that will show you how to accomplish this and lots of the members here are more than willing to help out if you have any questions/issues with it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I checked the phone & yep its 6.15.00

Is there no way to just revert the whole unlock & go back to the original state of the phone prior to unlocking it?

p*ssed off this guy didnt tell me all this & p*ssed off I didnt research the consequences of having it unlocked....anyway its done now

so how do i update it now? also getting msgs saying there is an update for carrier settings....whats this? i have been cancelling those too as I just do not want to mess with the phone now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You should update carrier setting if asked everytime you change a new sim .
    No , you cannot revert back to original setting.
    With Ipad bb, your GPS location services may not work or it can give you an incorrect location.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

updating my carrier settings is not going to cause any problems is it? Ive had the phone mess up on me twice (gets stuck on the screen showing connect USB to iTunes) & both times I have no idea how I have managed to get it working again, I just do not want to be in the position again

Thanks

No, it is your carrier setting for signal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok cool, thanks

Thanks

No problem