Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 5.0b3 OTA upgrade won't recognized a new update?

Default 5.0b3 OTA upgrade won't recognized a new update?
    Hi,
    So I posted this on the two news posts about the b4 OTA upgrade. I was jailbroken, wouldnt work, so I just restored to 5.0b3 and went to go upgrade and it says its up to date, but its not, its still the b3 build. Anyone know what the problem is?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by energiesource View Post
    Hi,
    So I posted this on the two news posts about the b4 OTA upgrade. I was jailbroken, wouldnt work, so I just restored to 5.0b3 and went to go upgrade and it says its up to date, but its not, its still the b3 build. Anyone know what the problem is?
    This may be a silly question but is the firmware stock or custom?

Because you were recently jailbroken and had it restored back it probably thinks you are up to date when clearly you aren't IMO.

Try rebooting or restoring again and see if it picks it up then. If not then just install beta 4 manually through itunes. Sorry

it was a stock firmware with redsn0w on it, then i just restored to the old stock firmware 9A5259f when beta 4 is something ending in d so I know it didn't update.
    I dunno what to do, you think it would work.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

it was a stock firmware with redsn0w on it, then i just restored to the old stock firmware 9A5259f when beta 4 is something ending in d so I know it didn't update.
    I dunno what to do, you think it would work.
    Doing the update manually through itunes will almost certainly work. Doing the update OTA I'm not so sure.

Never hurts to try though

Maybe it banned me from OTA updates because it saw my phone was jailbroken lol
    I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to update.
    and spend another 2 hours restoring to my previous settings lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe it banned me from OTA updates because it saw my phone was jailbroken lol
    I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to update.
    and spend another 2 hours restoring to my previous settings lol
    For some strange reason doing the beta 4 update OTA deletes your photos (not camera roll) so you would have to resync to itunes anyways if you have photos that need to be placed back on. It did it to me anyways.

Most of my pictures are in my camera roll anyway, except for the photo stream ones from icloud but i think i got rid of that.
    my icloud wont back up either. not sure why. says less than 1 min remaining for like 2 hours

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Most of my pictures are in my camera roll anyway, except for the photo stream ones from icloud but i think i got rid of that.
    my icloud wont back up either. not sure why. says less than 1 min remaining for like 2 hours
    Just be patient with it. Mine said the same thing and took forever also. But it still went through successfully

Wifi Syncing has been turned on for Windows through this beta.

I was already using it on my Mac but now I can use it on my Windows 7 pc as well

You have to update to itunes 10.5b4 of course for it to work
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-07-23 at 06:22 PM.

now i manually installed b4 and i try to restore my iCloud and it says can not communicate with server, what the heck.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This might give you a lil more info on iCloud and iOS 5.

"As this is beta software, it is recommended that you do not use the iCloud services to store any critical data or information. If you enable iCloud Backup, automatic backup with iTunes when syncing will be disabled. We suggest you also manually back up your device with iTunes. It is strongly advised you upgrade to this version of the iOS 5 beta in order to continue backing up your devices and preserve previous backups."

Apple's full change log for iOS 5 beta 4

now i manually installed b4 and i try to restore my iCloud and it says can not communicate with server, what the heck.
    Same thing was happening to me; after a DFU restore of beta 4 I was able to restore from iCloud without the communication error.
    Last edited by jlaw; 2011-07-25 at 07:18 AM.