Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 4.2.1 stuck in recovery mode loop and will not enter DFU mode?! Complex problem!

Exclamation 3GS 4.2.1 stuck in recovery mode loop and will not enter DFU mode?! Complex problem!
    I had some old firmware version (3.x) on my 3GS 8 GB. and I tried to update it. First I updated to the latest 4.3.4 but did not know that there is no jailbreak out for that version. So than I tried to downgrade to 4.3.3 but did not have an SHSH file for that version, so it did not work. Next I tried to downgrade to 4.2.1 as I have a SHSH file for 4.2.1. So I downloaded a clean, original copy of 4.2.1 from Apple and used TinyUmbrella and iTunes to update the phone. The phone seemed to download the OS fine as I saw the Apple logo and loading bar appear on the phone during the update process. But when the download was complete, iTunes gave me an error (1015 I think) and the phone reset. Now its stuck in an endless recovery mode loop. I cant enter DFU mode because step one of entering DFU mode is turning the phone off. Well the phone wont turn off as so long as its plugged in to my computer. All I can do is reset the phone. If I hold down the power button the phone power cycles and restarts, but it never simply shuts down. Being that its stuck in recovery mode there is no "slide to power off" red bar, I get the standard blue iTunes logo and a picture of a USB cable, nothing more.

I know how to get into DFU mode (turn phone off, hold home and power for 10 seconds, release power and hold home for another 15 seconds), it just simply wont go in DFU mode while the phone is plugged in because I cant get the phone to turn off while plugged in, I can only reset it. I can get it into DFU mode if the phone is unplugged, but as soon as I plug the phone in the phone automatically resets and goes back to the endless recovery mode loop.

Now there was ONE TIME when I was able to get the phone into DFU mode while plugged in, I dont know how I did it, it just happened. When I was able to get it into DFU mode I used RedSn0W to go in PWNed DFU mode and I used iTunes and TinyUmbrella to restore the phone to 4.1 (I have a SHSH file for 4.1) , however the restore was not successfully. I got the same results as when I tried to restore to 4.2.1, the phone seems to accept the upload from iTunes but iTunes gives me an error (normally error 1015) and the phone goes back into an endless loop.

So it seems I have a multi-stage problem, I cant seem to get into DFU mode and even if I could, I cant restore to 4.2.1 or 4.1, even with TinyUmbrella and my SHSH files. Whats more interesting is I dont know how I have SHSH files form 4.2.1 or 4.1 as I have never had those operating systems installed on my phone. This is the very first time I have tried to update the operating system. But when I downloaded TinyUmbrella it found SHSH files for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1 and 4.2.1 even though I have never had any of those operating systems installed on my phone.
    Last edited by SPL Tech; 2011-07-22 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you have 4.2.1 shsh blob, you should have 4.3.3 shsh as well. Restore to 4.3.4 again.
    Download the latest TU, select your iphone name and click save shsh.
    You should now see 4.3.3 shsh file now.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    If you have 4.2.1 shsh blob, you should have 4.3.3 shsh as well. Restore to 4.3.4 again.
    Download the latest TU, select your iphone name and click save shsh.
    You should now see 4.3.3 shsh file now.
    I cant revert to 4.3.4, I get the same problem as when I try to install any other version, it uploads to the phone but the phone resets and gets stuck in recovery mode loop and I get an error in iTunes (error 1015 normally). I cant get the shsh for 4.3.3 as the OS currently installed on hte phone is 4.1, which makes sense as thats the last OS I tried to install on it.

Thanks

Your iOS is 4.1 doesn't mean you don't have 4.3.3.shsh blob
    Just point your host file towards Cydia server and restore to custom firmware of 4.3.3 created by Snowbreeze 2.7.3, Use the pwned dfu mode to get your iphone into pwned dfu to restore to cfw of 4.3.3 through itunes.

OR Download the latest tiny umbrella, if you have used TU on this iphone before, then you should see your device name on the left side
    Highlight it, Make sure you are requesting shsh blob from Cydia, click save shsh.
    You should see 4.3.3 blob, if you keep telling me that you don't have the blob without even doing this, then my quick answer to you is you cannot doing anything at the moment as there isn't any custom firmware of 4.3.4, period.

If you have not used TU before, then you won't see any of your iphone name and TU will not recognize your iphone. You hare to go a different route by retrieving your ECID and input it to get your shsh blob.
    D

Ok, If 4.1 is what you want.
    Put your iphone into recovery mode if you can get in and restore to stock 4.1 .
    You can kick out error 1015 using Tiny Umbrella feature.

Cydia will start saving the firmware shsh blob Apple was signing and all future shsh blobs regardless of the firmware you have installed. This is what is meant by " Make my life easier " the very first time you open up Cydia and start saving shsh blob.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-07-22 at 07:25 AM.

Well here is a print screen of TU:

As you can see Cydia only has shsh blobs for me for 4.0 - 4.2.1. However I am confused as to how they have these shsh blobs in the first place as I have never had any of those operating system versions installed on my phone and the one version I did have installed (3.x), TU does not have an shsh blob for.

Also do I have to use a custom 4.3.3 or can I download the 4.3.3. from Apple and install it in DFU mode through iTunes?

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

This one is simple..
    Start TSS server.
    Restore to 4.2.1 stock
    U will get error
    Put in dfu mode
    Greenpois0n

Done..

Just because u didnot install a particular os version doesnot mean Cydia won't save that blob. It save all shsh of firmwares apple signs from the day u select make my life easier. Follow my steps without brainstorming. It's 100% working method.
    Last edited by xtacy; 2011-07-23 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks

You say your iphone is 3gs, have you clicked save shsh again to download the rest of Shsh saved in Cydia.
    If you have IPad BB, then you must restore to custom firmware of 4.3.3. If you don't have Ipad bb, you can restore to stock 4.3.3 ( No Software Unlock)

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You say your iphone is 3gs, have you clicked save shsh again to download the rest of Shsh saved in Cydia.
    If you have IPad BB, then you must restore to custom firmware of 4.3.3. If you don't have Ipad bb, you can restore to stock 4.3.3 ( No Software Unlock)
    3GS will run better on 4.2.1
    She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back
    she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic

Thanks

Not true, I have 3gs at 4.3.3 and it runs as smooth as 4.2.1. Just monitor what you open and close what is not needed as there are 256 RAM on this 3gs