Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is the iPad Baseband really that bad?

Default Is the iPad Baseband really that bad?
    some say it works without any issues and some say it kills their battery, gps, and everything else.

My sister gave me her iPhone 3G (she upgraded to the ip4) and I'm still a noob when I comes to iphone hacking (had a custom winmo phone).

here's one of the problems I found is that it's running 4.2.1 with baseband on 5.15, bootloader 6.4. the baseband can't be unlocked unless i "upgrade" to the ipad baseband?

another problem. it's a Rogers phone, and I'm on Fido. Can i just jailbreak it and use SAM to activate it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's like this : u wud keep using the iPad baseband unknown of it's complications and never complain or you would be aware of it and complain everyday :-)
    It's neither good nor bad. It allows you to make calls from ur PHONE I guess that's important.. Ofcourse you will loose your gps

Use this tutorial
    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-upd...-4.2.1-unlock/

Then downgrade to 3.1.3 coz that's the best firmware for 3G
    She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back
    she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ollie williams View Post
    some say it works without any issues and some say it kills their battery, gps, and everything else.

My sister gave me her iPhone 3G (she upgraded to the ip4) and I'm still a noob when I comes to iphone hacking (had a custom winmo phone).

here's one of the problems I found is that it's running 4.2.1 with baseband on 5.15, bootloader 6.4. the baseband can't be unlocked unless i "upgrade" to the ipad baseband?

another problem. it's a Rogers phone, and I'm on Fido. Can i just jailbreak it and use SAM to activate it?
    Yeah unfortunately using the ipad baseband seems to be hit or miss when it comes to problems. One main problem of course is the loss of GPS but others have followed but varies from device to device. Some people dont really have problems with it while others say it sucks. But it is a baseband that is unlockable and so it basically does what you want it to do especially if youre on a baseband that is currently not unlockable on a 3G or 3GS.

Now here's where the so called heavy battery drain can occur. Yes it is possible to jailbreak and activate using SAM but that method has been deemed hit or miss as well when it comes to saving your battery. It does activate but the only true way to save yourself some grief and quite possibly your battery is to just activate using an official carrier sim.

^battery issues are the same exact thing on a hacktivated iPhone 3G with the iPad baseband and a hacktivated 3G with a 05.13.04 baseband

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    ...the only true way to save yourself some grief and quite possibly your battery is to just activate using an official carrier sim.
    +1 An official SIM is well worth the investment

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    ^battery issues are the same exact thing on a hacktivated iPhone 3G with the iPad baseband and a hacktivated 3G with a 05.13.04 baseband
    I agree. This is why its always best to use an official sim to activate the device IMO.

I agree. This is why its always best to use an official sim to activate the device IMO.
    Yup. That's why I have 3 extras lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Or SAM :-)
    She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back
    she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Yup. That's why I have 3 extras lol
    Wow. Maybe I should do that. I just have my original and a spare

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    Or SAM :-)
    The problem w/SAM, it needs periodic updating. Not required with an official SIM

I don't think I'm going to downgrade to 3.1.3 since I don't have a data plan. I do have a Fido sim card. Would that be a problem if I use my own sim card to activate? So each time you switch sim cards, you would have to reactivate? Fido sim-->Rogers phone without unlocking yes/no?

Unlocked iPhone 4
    iOS 6.1.3
    Unlocked iPhone 3G

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't think I'm going to downgrade to 3.1.3 since I don't have a data plan. I do have a Fido sim card. Would that be a problem if I use my own sim card to activate? So each time you switch sim cards, you would have to reactivate? Fido sim-->Rogers phone without unlocking yes/no?
    If the phone is locked to Rogers carrier then chances are your Fido sim will not work unless the device is activated and unlocked.

Just be prepared to lose GPS if you use the ipad baseband and be prepared for some battery drain (minor or major) when hacktivating the device.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Wait a minute, go to Fido Official store and talk to them, they might change from Rogers to Fido as they are the same company and don't have to deal with ipad bb.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Wait a minute, go to Fido Official store and talk to them, they might change from Rogers to Fido as they are the same company and don't have to deal with ipad bb.
    He has a point. Although its the same company, they are two seperate carriers so I would just go find out if they will unlock it for Fido.

Edit: I found this thread and although its an old one it does bring up the same subject.

http://modmyi.com/forums/other-carri...-fido-sim.html

He has a point. Although its the same company, they are two seperate carriers so I would just go find out if they will unlock it for Fido.

Edit: I found this thread and although its an old one it does bring up the same subject.

http://modmyi.com/forums/other-carri...-fido-sim.html
    would the unlock be permanent? $50 to unlock a phone is hard to swallow. there was a person that posted on engadget and said it's free for Rogers customers.
    Rogers, Fido offering iPhone unlocks for $50 -- Engadget

so I just restored to the stock 4.2.1 firmware (had to add the custom ip address with the # sign and delete apple's ip in the hosts file) . i'm stuck on the emergency screen. do I just get any custom firmware that's "hacktivated" to bypass it whenever I want to test new firmware or do I just activate normally if i decide to get Rogers to unlock it, or jb with redsn0w, then deactivate, then activate through itunes after unlocking? sorry, I have a lot of questions.

Unlocked iPhone 4
    iOS 6.1.3
    Unlocked iPhone 3G

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

To unlock run redsnow and install iPad bb . Don't pay as the guy will install iPad bb too. You can do it yourself .

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

would the unlock be permanent? $50 to unlock a phone is hard to swallow. there was a person that posted on engadget and said it's free for Rogers customers.
    Rogers, Fido offering iPhone unlocks for $50 -- Engadget
    I don't know how true that article is but it never hurts to try. The least they can do is say no.

I don't see why they can't unlock it if you are off contract. It's been my experience that Att has been the more troublesome carrier when it comes to factory unlocks.