Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can i update without deleting everything?

Default Can i update without deleting everything?
    I have a 4.0 (8A293) firmware on my 3gs right now. There has been a couple of updates for the firmware but i have been too scared to do it because i don't want to delete everything on my phone. I'm still on the original baseband and would be nice to keep that also.

Is there a way to upgrade the jailbroken phone without deleting everything?

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

4.3.4 was released yday. Kills all jailbreaks..
    Does Cydia show u have blobs saved?
    And yeah it's possible to update without loosing anything .
    4.3.3 is the firmware you would be safe on.
    But for that you would need blobs. Cydia usually saves them for u. Can u confirm it?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Just a couple things to note:
    4.3.4 didnt kill all jailbreaks. It did kill jailbreakme.com for that firmware and the untether used on 4.3.3 and earlier. There is still a tethered jailbreak for 4.3.4 available.

Updating will wipe any jailbreak related stuff but you can use something like pkgbackup to load all that back quickly after updating and rejailbreaking.

As of right now I believe 4.3.3 is still being signed so if you havent saved your 4.3.3 SHSH right now is the time to do so as Apple could pull the plug on them at any moment. (Although on a 3GS something tells me you can still get 4.1 SHSH even if you have never saved your SHSH before. Dont ask me how, just trust me )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

In order to upgrade a jailbroken idevice, you need a restore. All restore will wipe out everything.
    Yes, Pkgbackup will save your Cydia stuffs, Itunes will save your contacts & etc.
    In order to maintain your current baseband, restoring to custom firmware of 4.3.3 is the way to go, you can leave your hosts file pointed to Apple server as apple is stilll signing 4.3.3.
    Upon successful restore to custom firmware, you can setup your iphone as a backup restore but it is highly recommended you setup as a new iphone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Simon (2011-07-16)

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    4.3.4 was released yday. Kills all jailbreaks..
    Does Cydia show u have blobs saved?
    And yeah it's possible to update without loosing anything .
    4.3.3 is the firmware you would be safe on.
    But for that you would need blobs. Cydia usually saves them for u. Can u confirm it?
    I'm not sure if it has blobs saved,
    Top of Cydia has SHSH: IOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3, 4.3.3

Does that mean it saved my blobs?

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    In order to upgrade a jailbroken idevice, you need a restore. All restore will wipe out everything.
    Yes, Pkgbackup will save your Cydia stuffs, Itunes will save your contacts & etc.
    In order to maintain your current baseband, restoring to custom firmware of 4.3.3 is the way to go, you can leave your hosts file pointed to Apple server as apple is stilll signing 4.3.3.
    Upon successful restore to custom firmware, you can setup your iphone as a backup restore but it is highly recommended you setup as a new iphone
    Thanks what method should i use?
    Last edited by upperg; 2011-07-17 at 01:04 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Well yeah that's what I meant . It killed all untethers

To op yeah blobs are saved !!
    Also as iYeow said it's preferred to set up the phone as new :-)