Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weird Issue - Stuck In Recovery Loop

Hey All,

I have an iPhone 3GS stuck in Recovery Loop. I will explain how I got here:

First off, my phone has never been jailbroken.

The 'home' button was doing weird things - acting as if it had been pushed when it hadn't. This meant that apps would randomly exit, voice control would turn on, and if i pressed the sleep button it would re-awake. I replaced the home button cable and the same issue still occured. After some research I thought that it may be a firmware issue. I decided to restore/upgrade to the latest version (4.3.3). Now when I plug my iPhone into iTunes it says it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode and requires a restore. I restore, and the same issue occurs.

Following are some things I have tried to fix this issue, all unsuccessful:
    TinyUmbrella - tried downgrading to 3.1.3, however, the iPhone doesnt respond (stays on the usb/connect to itunes logo) and iTunes just has a loading bar with preparing iphone. I also tried fix recovery, but the iPhone just froze and needed rebooting.

Tried fixrecovery43 entering DFU mode. Goes through a whole heap of stuff in terminal and then on phone, but just boots back to usb/itunes logo.

Tried to jailbreak using redsnow rc18 - gets to loading screen with pineapple and freezes as packaged applications or whatever...

Also tried RecBoot - phone just restarts

Im so stuck if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I am currently trying to restore it on another pc (was using a mac before) and am just waiting for 4.3.3 to download. I will update if it works, but I am very doubtful after all the things i have tried.

I don't necessarily want my iPhone jailbreaked (however I dont mind if this is the solution), i just want it working again

thanks

Just tried iReb v4 - also doesnt work...
    Last edited by applaps; 2011-07-12 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks

Well, since it sounds like the home button is physically broken, that's probably either the root issue or is symptomatic of other, even more serious, hardware issues.

I'd recommend that you attempt to restore your iPhone to stock iOS (if it's stuck in Recovery, that's probably okay) and take it to an Apple Store or another authorized repair facility and inquire about a replacement (you should get one fairly easily).

I would have thought that since i replace the home button ribbon cable with a new one, it would not be an issue with the home button???

It is a 3GS so I doubt I am going to get a replacement as it is well out of warranty... So taking it to an Apple store isn't going to help...

I just need to get my iphone out of this 'restore loop'.. im not expecting that to fix the home button problems, i just need to be able to receive calls. As I said above, i dont mind if i end up with a jailbroken iphone/normal iPhone, I will use any solution...

Thanks

I dont see why I should pay for a new one when this issue occurred through a routine update - I wasnt even trying to jailbreak or anything. I guess I will try the custom firmware solution

Quote Originally Posted by applaps View Post
    I dont see why I should pay for a new one when this issue occurred through a routine update - I wasnt even trying to jailbreak or anything. I guess I will try the custom firmware solution
    You could try using RecBoot or Umbrella to push it out of recovery mode

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    You could try using RecBoot or Umbrella to push it out of recovery mode
    I dont mean to be rude, but you clearly didnt read my original post...

Thanks

Set your host file to point at Apple's servers:
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Then save It. And try restoring again with iTunes.

---------------------- If that doesn't work then try this
    Open TinyUmbrella and go to Advanced and uncheck "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" then exit out from the application. And try to restore again with iTunes.

(This is how I actually gotten my iPhone 3GS out from a recovery/dfu loop. So hopefully this helps)

Let me know If you need further assistance.
    Twitter | @infinitypark003
    YouTube Channel | Infinitypark003

Quote Originally Posted by applaps View Post
    I dont mean to be rude, but you clearly didnt read my original post...
    You didn't mention RecBoot though which sometimes works when umbrella doesn't

iPhone? More like MyPhone James360Petty's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you get the phone into DFU mode? This can be tricky and will tell you if your home button is functioning correctly... itunes will tell you if youve achieved this sometimes difficult task......... if you can then try restoring through iTunes to 4.3.3 and go from there, do it fast before Apple stop signing this otherwise you will be forced into 4.3.4 and that's bad for other options custom FW etc.....
    "It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."