Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3GS unlock/jailbreak solution for a newbie

Default iphone 3GS unlock/jailbreak solution for a newbie
    Hi,

This is my first posting here and I'm a newbie with iphone jb and unlock. Pardon me if my questions were answered previously but I searched for my specific issue and couldn't find a thread. I own a iphone 3G S with 3.1.2 (7D11), Model: MB717LL and Firmware: 05.11.07. I have jailbroken my iphone using blackra1n RC3 with tethered jailbreak and all is good. I'm running Backgrounder to run skype in the background and it gets really hot when skype runs in the background. I wanted to upgrade to the newest version 4.3.3 without losing the ability to jailbreak and also unlock. It seems Comex has released a PDF exploit untethered jailbreak for 4.3.3 devices. So, how do I proceed? If I unlock with my currrent iphone state as is now, will my iphone be still in unlocked state even after upgrading to 4.3.3? I think Apple is feverishly working on patching the PDF exploit jb. I want to act quickly to move up to 4.3.3, jb and also unlock. I have already heard of tinyumbrella to preserve SHSH files (I'm seeing 3 of them now after running them).

Please explain me what I need to do in easy steps.

Appreciate reply.

Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Do not update with a stock firmware! You will need a custom firmware in order to keep your unlockable firmware!
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Thanks

DO NOT UPDATE USING APPLE'S STOCK FIRMWARE. Because your Baseband 05.11.07 is unlockable! In order to preserve your Baseband to the next iOS Firmware, download ...
    sn0wbreeze [windows]
    pwnage tool [mac]

You MUST always use Custom Firmware to keep your baseband. If you DID accidentally updated your Firmware, then you need to install the 06.15.00 Baseband.
    Twitter | @infinitypark003
    YouTube Channel | Infinitypark003

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

1) Create custom firmware for 4.3.3 (be sure iPad baseband is not added to it) with either Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool
    2) Use Redsn0w and *stock* 4.3.3 ipsw to set device into pwned DFU mode ONLY
    3) Open iTunes and shift (option on Mac) + restore to custom 4.3.3
    4) Unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia

For more detailed instructions, you can Google for a guide on Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool for 4.3.3

Thanks to you all of you for all the kind help.
    As a newbie, blame it on me, I'm unable to get on what needs to be done individually for iPhone 3G S and iPad 2. Please advice me with step by step instructions for each of the devices. With iPhone 3G S, all I need is to upgrade to 4.3.3 without harming the baseband version (05.11.07) while at the same time, I wanted to backup everything on the iphone (contacts, photos, pictures, iTalk audio files, Audio Recorder files etc). With iPad 2, I wanted to get it tomorrow before Apple patches the PDF exploit. So, is it wise to buy iPad 2 tomorrow and run jailbreakme.com to jailbreak? Before doing all of this, do I need to use TinyUmbrella to save SHSH both for the iPhone 3G S and iPad 2?

Sorry to ask too many questions. I wanted to be done before PDF exploit is patched by Apple.

Please advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can backup everything with itunes. You can save the blob first when you get your ipad 2, Note: (ipad2 wifi + 3g, once apple has stopped signing 4.3.3, the 3g model cannot be restored , only wifi model is fine at the moment)

Amazed by the swift reply.
    One more thing I forgot to add is my iPhone 3G S was already jailbroken with blackra1n RC2 and last week I unknowingly browsed to jailbreakme.com on my iPhone 3G S and ran the jailbreak. After that my iPhone never booted back even after running blackra1n RC2. Luckily, after running blackra1n RC3, things are back to normal. Having said this, what do I do here since my iPhone 3G S is already jailbroken?

Also, with iTunes, how do I just backup everything but not update to the newer version of iOS?

With iPad 2, I would be only getting the Wifi version and not the Wifi + 3G.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Your 3gs should have 4.3.3 blob , you can see that on the front page of cydia. Backing up in itunes will not back up cydia stuffs. You either install one by one or use aptbackup , pkgbackup ( paid app) .
    You should restore to custom firmware of 4.3.3 if you want to preserve your current baseband. Once restored, you are already jailbroken.

Instructions are good.
    What is this custom firmware 4.3.3 thing?

Please let me know with step by step instructions for iPhone 3G S and iPad 2 taking into account I have already jb my 3GS with blackra1n RC2/RC3 running on 3.1.2 with bb 05.11.07. With iPad 2, I'm going to get it this week and wanted to move to 4.3.3 jb.

Appreciate all your help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

iPad 2 can be jailbroken simply by going to Safari on the device, navigate to jailbreakme.com, and follow the instructions.

Update on my iPhone 3G S:

I successfully unlocked my iPhone 3G S using blacksn0w RC1 yesterday and also ran a test by inserting T-Mobile SIM and it works fine except that it shows "E" (Edge network) which I think is due to the fact the T-Mobile 3G is different than what iPhone supports. I have couple of questions now:

a. I also saved SHSH files of my iPhone 3G S (did this before I unlocked). Can I safely store them in my e-mail as a compressed zip file?
    b. I have already mentioned that the jailbreak I did 2 years back is a tethered one with blackra1n RC2. I wanted to have a untethered jailbreak now. How do I do this without affecting the unlocked functionality I have now?
    c. Is the unlock a permanent unlock? I wanted to move to 4.3.3 keeping my base firmware version at 05.11.07.
    d. Finally, I wanted to backup my entire iPhone before I upgrade to 4.3.3. In iTunes, do I press Sync to initiate a complete backup and can I specify the location of the backup?

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by ip2011; 2011-07-13 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks

Answers:

a. Your SHSH files are automatically saved on Cydia Servers.
    b. depends on your current iPhone version you can get an untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 with greenpois0n
    c. Unlocks are not permeant if you want to update to iOS 4.3.3 you need to use Sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool to make a custom firmware and preserve your 5.11.07 baseband, because if you update to stock iOS 4.3.3 it will update your baseband to 5.16, which isn't unlockable with having to use iPad Baseband.
    d. You can plug your iPhone into iTunes and right click it on the sidebar and press Backup. This doesn't backup your Cydia Apps.