Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BUG: home button glitches out after JB (not hardware issue)

Default BUG: home button glitches out after JB (not hardware issue)
    Hey all,

I know what you're thinking, 'dude has a hardware problem.' I'm almost entirely sure that I don't. If it is a hardware problem, it's a very spooky one that goes away when I reboot the iphone.

I have a very clean install of the latest jailbreak from jailbreakme.com. I factory restored my iphone 4, updated to the most recent OS version, setup as a new phone, JB, and only installed a few minimal JB tweaks (no winterboard anything and nothing excessive or out of the ordinary). My iphone runs FAST, as there isn't much hogging up resources in the background to slow it down, and I love it.

However, every once in a while, my home button simply ceases to register clicksóbut it does this in a very odd way. While I'm in an app, I'll press the home button to quit the app, and it will refuse to register the first home press... but it's like it queues the click, and when I press the home button again (after say 10 or 15 seconds from the first click), it'll act as if I've just double clicked, and it will show me the active apps bar. Then if I switch to another app and single click the home button again, it works as expected. Rebooting solves the issue completely, and the button is otherwise normally very responsive.

This has only happened to me since the last couple of times I've JB my phone, both with jailbreakme and with the iphone dev team's JB.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Ideas for how to fix it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sounds like a hardware problem (hahahaha) ... J/K

Interesting that you mention this, because I swear the same thing happens to my 3GS with 4.2.1 (pwnage). It doesn't happen often, maybe once or twice a day. Personally, I had written this strange behavior off as a 'user error' or 'not quite pressed enough' or ' ... ' ... but who really knows. It doesn't bother me that much.

If it's really a problem ... start over and try it a few days with no Cydia apps/tweaks. Make sure the issue has absolutely nothing to do with your device. Then use PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze and re-load. Maybe do it a two or three times, then thoroughly test/verify easy Cydia/tweak before going on to the next.

Intermittent quirks like these are very difficult to isolate and identify. It's likely an adverse interaction between different app/tweaks.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-11 at 01:57 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just FYI, mine exhibited this same behavior (occasional button glitches) and I kept blaming it on a software issue. However, it got worse and worse over a period of 3 or so months until the button would go rogue for several minutes at a time. I tried several firmwares, clean and jailbroken, and it kept messing up. I sent a note to apple and they promptly issued an RA and shipped me a new one.

Though I did have some button issues with ios5b2 which went away after downgrading to 4.3.3.

Default there is an issue in my oppinion...
    I went through this last summer with my iphone 4 and it cleared up after I ridded by jailbreak with the latest ios update.

Two weeks ago I JB with the latest solution and noted the behavior. Once again I assumed hardware but then my wife told me today after since I JB'd her phone the home button has been hinky.

maybe activator?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

So the question is, what did you jailbreak with?

No the question "is" what is a work around!

I used jailbreakme.com but previously it was greenpoison when I had the issue last summer.

I'm going to do some testing in safe mode and then with activator...if not I'll have to dump my JB again : (

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Can't give a workaround if I don't know what you used

If two different tools are giving you the same problem, I'm inclined to say if it isn't hardware failure it is something you keep installing in Cydia. That or you're restoring from backup which could carry over the existing problem. So you either have to set up as new, or figure out what you're installing in Cydia that's causing it.

If it were me, I would restore, set up as new, rejailbreak, then when installing things from Cydia, do it one by one and see if the problem persists. When the problems comes back, you'd know the last item installed whatever it may be is the cause.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Just FYI, mine exhibited this same behavior (occasional button glitches) and I kept blaming it on a software issue. However, it got worse and worse over a period of 3 or so months until the button would go rogue for several minutes at a time. I tried several firmwares, clean and jailbroken, and it kept messing up. I sent a note to apple and they promptly issued an RA and shipped me a new one.

Though I did have some button issues with ios5b2 which went away after downgrading to 4.3.3.
    Interestingly enough, my button issues returned and started getting worse. I reloaded a stock 4.3.3 and the button issues remained. Thus, I picked up a new button circuit from amazon for $6 and replaced it- good as new!

I would have sent it to apple for repair again but since ive replaced the screen on this one, my warranty is probably void.

Edit: what I'm saying is that I've gone through this twice now, and blamed it on software both times, and spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot it from the software side, only to discover both times that it was a hardware issue. Both times, my button acted exactly like you described. Go find another iPhone or and iPad and see if your iPhone button still feels as crisp. Both times, my was a little mushy in comparison.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2011-07-24 at 08:48 PM.