Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (Hopefully didn't!) Brick my friend's phone

Default (Hopefully didn't!) Brick my friend's phone
    After seeing all the cool things my 3GS can do - being jailbroken, my friend asked me to jailbreak his phone after work (4G). I directed his phone to jailbreakme.com and installed Cydia. He was most interested in bitesms, so I installed the source and the app. Everything ran smoothly, and his phone automatically rebooted. However, when I launched biteSMS, his phone crashed. It's been stuck at the apple logo for an hour now, and won't go into DFU mode. iTunes won't recognize it; it looks like it recognizes the phone, but it disappears quickly, not having the time to restore it.
    Please help me before I have to pay for a new iphone for a friend.

tr recovery mode

unplug phone from computer
    hold power and sleep together till device turns off
    then hold home button and plug in usb
    keep holding home button
    itunes connect screen will pop up then click restore.

The funny thing about an infinite boot is that you can still SSH in if your quick enough through a USB cord connection, just do that and delete the recent install Dev files

Quote Originally Posted by takkuso View Post
    After seeing all the cool things my 3GS can do - being jailbroken, my friend asked me to jailbreak his phone after work (4G). I directed his phone to jailbreakme.com and installed Cydia. He was most interested in bitesms, so I installed the source and the app. Everything ran smoothly, and his phone automatically rebooted. However, when I launched biteSMS, his phone crashed. It's been stuck at the apple logo for an hour now, and won't go into DFU mode. iTunes won't recognize it; it looks like it recognizes the phone, but it disappears quickly, not having the time to restore it.
    Please help me before I have to pay for a new iphone for a friend.
    I updated my fw yesterday and then promptly jailbroke the phone (iphone 4). It hadn't been jailbroken before. I installed three things (BiteSMS, MyWi, SBSettings). We went out and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket an hour later it was stuck at the apple logo.

When we got home I put it into DFU mode. I put it into DFU mode (home/sleep button) while it's connected to the computer. Reinstalled 4.3.3. Went to sleep.

Was concerned about the jb being the general culprate, but it sounds like it might be biteSMS. Is biteSMS the only cydia app you installed... you know... besides cydia?

Will jailbreak again this morning and see what happens

Chris

I used jailbreakme on 2 phones yesterday. Both went Into infinite loop after installing a number of cydia apps and tweaks. I restored them to factory and tried again with the same result. Finally kept one stock and used redsn0w for the other. I had an incling it was because of bitesms so i didnt install it. So far so good. Just wanted to share to help shed some light.

had similar problem with bitesms. installed in twice and both times bricked it and had to restore it. since bitesms is such a great app I was thinking about trying again but having seen this post I think I better refrain.

this is the third time I'm jailbreaking in two days and all's running smoothly. only difference is bitesms.

Thanks

i use bitesms with no issues, are ya'll using the paid version? if not that is probably what is causing the issues

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r View Post
    i use bitesms with no issues, are ya'll using the paid version? if not that is probably what is causing the issues
    Don't remember which one I grabbed. I am sure it was whichever one is "featured" in cydia. I did pay for something yesterday so it was probably the paid version I got now that I think about it.

I re-jailbroke today, installed a bunch of things--but not biteSMS--and all seems to be doing okay.

Now I just need to get the iPad jailbroken... I upgraded my ipad an hour ago and went to re-jailbreak it and it didn't work on jailbreakme.com

I don't know if I could live without at least one jailbroken device