Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it worth upgrading from 4.0 to 4.2 and re-jailbreaking (3G) ?

Default Is it worth upgrading from 4.0 to 4.2 and re-jailbreaking (3G) ?
    Hi Guys,
    I jailbroke my phone when I first got it and its currently on firmware 4.0/baseband 05.13.04 .
    I originally jailbroke as the phone was tied to another carrier and i needed to unlock it.
    Is there any benefit in upgrading my firmware to 4.2 via itunes, and if i do will it be easy enough to re-jailbreak and unlock. i'm assuming my baseband will also change during the update, would this cause any problems ?
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If you need to remain unlocked you have to use pwnage tool or snowbreeze to make a custom 4.2.1 firmware so that you can preserve your baseband. If you update your baseband you will not be able to unlock anymore.

If it is a iPhone 3G you will see better performance on 4.2.1.

Great , thanks for that, is there a specific version of pwnage i need to use for my current 4.0 firmware as a quick google bought up pwnage but only mentions 4.3.
    Are there any guides to building the custom 4.2 ?

Thanks

The latest pwnage tool should still be able to make a custom 4.2.1 I believe.

cool, found this guide removed
    Does that seem accurate for my needs ?
    Last edited by Simon; 2011-07-09 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks

yup, that guide should be fine for you. I just removed the link to it though because they were linking to custom firmware downloads which we cannot do here.

understood, thanks Simon for your help, off to try now :-)

One other thing, when i'm downloading the original and custom firmware it gives me the option to open with itunes or to download to pc, which option do i need ?

Having problems getting into DFU mode, iv'e tried about ten times, following the timings on redsnow exactly but it always comes up with 'device not found' and then the phone won't turn on again,i have to press power and home for 10 seconds to get the phone switched on again ?

Thanks

Ignore the redsnow instructions. Do this instead after pressing next:

Make sure phone is on before pressing next in redsnow. Press next in redsnow to get to the countdown part. Hold the home and power button for 10 seconds exactly. Then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button until redsnow starts doing its thing.

Ah,thanks for that Simon, because my phone was originally on orange and I jailbroke it to run on 3 network do i need to do the activated firmware i've seen mentioned somewhere, as i dont have an orange sim ?

Thanks

Ya. If you don't have a official carrier sim to activate with you need to hactivate it.

AARRGHH, thats not working either, tried 5 times i've created a hacktivated firmware with sn0wbreeze no problem, but just can't get phone into dfu mode.

They seem to be yes, because when it fails to go into dfu mode the phone then won't switch on. if i press either of the power or home buttons for ten seconds...nothing...but when i press them both together for ten seconds,the phone will boot back up.

Thanks

It sound like you are in dfu mode then. What happens if you open iTunes when it is like that? Does it say there is a phone in recovery?