Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 2 Custom firmware restore, 3GS on 4.0.2 after Erase all content and settings

Default Error 2 Custom firmware restore, 3GS on 4.0.2 after Erase all content and settings
    Hi everyone,

I Erased all content and settings on my 3GS (4.0.2) without knowing that it would wipe everything out, and am now forced to restore.

Prior to Erasing, I had jailbroken with limera1n and unlocked with ultrasn0w.

Now, my phone is in Recovery Mode and no matter what I do, I can't restore!

Here's the info:
    iTunes 10.2.2.12
    WinXP SP3
    iPhone 3GS on 4.0.2, BB: 05.13.04, bootrom: iBoot-889.24

Here's what I've tried:
    Before Erasing, I saved SHSH blobs using iFaith.
    Then erased all content and settings.
    Tried using iRecovery to quit restore loop but can't (setvenv, saveenv and printenv commands do nothing)
    Created custom ipsw (4.0.2) with blobs using iFaith.
    Entered pwned DFU mode using iREB.
    Tried to retore from iTunes using custom ipsw
    Screen flashes white, then apple logo pops up
    Then iFaith logo pops up with progress bar
    Bar stays at 0 (no progress) for about 45seconds
    Error message in iTunes (Cannot restore, Error (2)), phone goes back to recovery mode.

I've searched my *** off looking for a solution, but all fixes I've looked up seem to lead me back to getting this error.

Heres a link to the logs: Private Paste - Pastie

Please let me know if you can help, Im leaving the country within the next few days and I need to have this phone unlocked before I leave.

Thanks!

[SOLUTION]
    As mentionned below, used sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 to create a custom 4.3.3 IPSW and it worked like a charm.
    Last edited by max.lalane; 2011-07-09 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Why don't you create a custom firmware of 4.3.3 from Snowbreeze 2.7.3, use the pwned dfu mode after the completion of custom firmware.
    Make sure your hosts file is pointing towards apple server for verification.
    Custom firmware will preserve your current baseband.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

max.lalane (2011-07-09)

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Why don't you create a custom firmware of 4.3.3 from Snowbreeze 2.7.3, use the pwned dfu mode after the completion of custom firmware.
    Make sure your hosts file is pointing towards apple server for verification.
    Custom firmware will preserve your current baseband.
    Thanks for the reply!

I thought of that but I didn't understand how that would be different from my custom IPSW for 4.0.2. I should technically be able to restore to any firmware version I choose (higher than 4.0.2), but I don't get what's causing this mysterious "Error 2".

I'll try your suggestion if I can't get anything else to work, but I'm really baffled as to why this fails and 4.3.3 wouldn't.

The only info I get on this error is the following:

Error 2
    Sn0wbreeze 1.6 Custom Firmware has an ASR patch problem. Use sn0wbreeze 1.7 or PwnageTool. Device isn't bootable. (from FAQ/Error Codes | iPhoneBlogr.com)

And all Apple tells me to do is, disable my firewall (which I've tried to no avail).

I'd really appreciate any more suggestions!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Using the latest snowbreeze and making a custom 4.3.3 should work fine for you as Yeow suggested. There may have just been bugs in older versions of snowbreeze causing your error 2 issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

max.lalane (2011-07-09)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Using the latest snowbreeze and making a custom 4.3.3 should work fine for you as Yeow suggested. There may have just been bugs in older versions of snowbreeze causing your error 2 issue.
    Hey thanks for the reply!

The thing is, I've saved my my SHSH blobs through iFaith and not through TinyUmbrella. Is it possible that the problem is with the custom IPSW created with iFaith and if so I won't be able to revert to previous firmware even though I have my blobs saved.

Basically, I still have some concern that there will be some sort of problem when updating to 4.3.3 that will update my baseband. And if that happens I'm screwed because even though I've saved my Blobs, I clearly can't restore to 4.0.2 cuz of this error. Have any of you guys had any problems with ultrasn0w on 4.3.3 with a 3GS ?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

It could be a issue with ifaith. I have never used it so unsure though.
    ultrasnow works just fine on 4.3.3, no reason to stay away from it. Just make sure to never restore to a regular 4.3.3 firmware. You have to use a custom one if you want to preserve your baseband.

Allright I followed your suggestions and it worked like a charm! thanks!