Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrade to higher firmware but still keep jailbroken apps

Default upgrade to higher firmware but still keep jailbroken apps
    Couldn't find any info in the sticky threads so had to make a thread. Sorry if this topic has come up before.

I gave a jailbroken 3GS with 3.1.3 firmware. Lately I've been wanting to upgrade due to the increasing number of apps I'm unable to use because the require at least 4.0 OS. My question is is there anyway I can upgrade without losing all my jailbroken content aswell as regular content e.g songs, etc?
    Last edited by Trejo; 2011-07-09 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Nope, sorry. A restore to a newer firmware will make your phone as Apple intended it. Fresh and will remove all J/B apps. You can use a paid app in Cydia called Pkgbackup, it will restore all apps you had once you re-jailbreak it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Trejo (2011-07-09)

The legwork needed to update your device to 4.3+ is worth it! You get folders, task management and lots of other optimizations (MultiFlow, woo!).

What I do is, I simply create a spreadsheet and list all my Cydia apps, so then I don't have to rack my brain to remember what programs I had installed.

Easy is made even easier now that the new Jailbreakme.com exploit is live

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Trejo (2011-07-09)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've decided to just upgrade without backing anything up. Nothing really worth saving that I cant get again easily.

What version of firmware do you guys recommend I upgrade to? The latest one has no problems with the jailbreak right?