Results 1 to 5 of 5

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Viewing movies from the cloud

  1. #1
    Default Viewing movies from the cloud
    Ok so I'm a little stuck, with all this new cloud storage and streaming I just can't grasp how I have all my movies in the cloud so I can stream on my ipad1 without having my laptop switched on.
    I have dropbox account. Could I just upload all my movie collection to dropbox from my laptop then install dropbox on my iPad and I can watch them anytime?
    Or does dropbox not let you view movies. Is this where I Would need iCloud or amazon cloud?
    Any help would be great. I have so many movies on my laptop and my DVD collection which I would love to view on my iPad whenever I wanted.
    Streaming from my laptop isn't possible as the wife won't have the laptop on if it's "not being used" lol.
    Thanks guys

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,851
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 699 Times in 594 Posts

    I don't believe Dropbox, Amazon's cloud service, or iCloud will let you stream movies like that, for obvious reasons (copyright and bandwidth).

    What might work (but is HIGHLY ILLEGAL FOR COPYRIGHTED WORKS IN THE US) is placing the footage in an Amazon S3 bucket, then enabling a Cloudfront RTSP distribution for that bucket.

    Actually, best solution: Netflix.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I don't believe Dropbox, Amazon's cloud service, or iCloud will let you stream movies like that, for obvious reasons (copyright and bandwidth).

    What might work (but is HIGHLY ILLEGAL FOR COPYRIGHTED WORKS IN THE US) is placing the footage in an Amazon S3 bucket, then enabling a Cloudfront RTSP distribution for that bucket.

    Actually, best solution: Netflix.
    I'm in uk. Sure we can't get netflix. If there was a decent uk streaming like netflix I would happily pay. How soon after a movie is released at cinema does it become available on netflix? Cheers

  4. #4
    Any more help guys? Seems this forum is only any good for discussing themes and nothing else lately

  5. #5
    Retired Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,851
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 699 Times in 594 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor-girl View Post
    I'm in uk. Sure we can't get netflix. If there was a decent uk streaming like netflix I would happily pay. How soon after a movie is released at cinema does it become available on netflix? Cheers
    Films pop on Netflix a month or two after their US cinema debuts, it seems. There are no hard and fast rules for it. I don't know of any Netflix alternatives in the UK, and I do know Netflix makes non-US viewing difficult. EDIT: Try lovefilm.com.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor-girl View Post
    Any more help guys? Seems this forum is only any good for discussing themes and nothing else lately
    It's been slow... such is life.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •