Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck in recovery mode nightmare

Default Stuck in recovery mode nightmare
    Hi guys, fingers crossed someone can help. I'm stuck in recovery mode and nothing seems to work - recboot, tinyumbrella, holding both home and power buttons. Am I screwed without my shsh?

Cheers for any help

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

What is your idevce, firmware and baseband ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

roguegenie (2011-07-09)

iPhone 3gs, 4.3.3 & 06.15.00.

Got it sorted thanks. Used ultrasn0w 1.2.3 and installed cydia, that snapped it out of recovery/DFU mode.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

For the benefit of the other users and better clarification, Ultrasn0w (the unlock tool from Cydia) I would say does not have the ability to kick a device out of recovery or DFU mode considering it is installed via Cydia. I would assume you'd need to already be out of recovery or DFU mode in order to access Cydia on your device therefore then installing Ultrasn0w after.

No harm intended, I'm just curious of your method because there are many users in which I've tried to help with the usual methods of exiting recovery mode without success.

You're absolutely right, my mistake. I meant Redsn0w, got mixed up. Used that, installed Cydia and that did the trick.

I am not trying to hijack this tread but I am in this nightmare right now. It is a 3GS that currently on 4.1 ios and 6.15.00 baseband. Phone was stuck on apple logo and I tried recboot, iRecovery, tinyumbrella but still no luck.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Restore to a custom 4.3.3 ipsw, be sure when creating the custom firmware not to include the ipad baseband as this will cause the device to fail to restore properly. You should not encounter being stuck in recovery mode or a boot loop if you do this correctly.

1) Create custom 4.3.3 ipsw
    2) Use Redsn0w and stock (not custom) 4.3.3 ipsw to get device into DFU mode (do not use Redsn0w for anything but DFU mode)
    3) Open iTunes and shift+restore to the custom firmware you created

How does one create a custom firmware... can I just download it from somewhere?? As above, nothing has worked for me. I just want my phone working, I don't understand how this happened, I have never jailbroken it and was only trying to do a legit update when it got stuck in this loop. I dont care if it ends up being jailbroken, I just need it working Thanks heaps. I put it in pwned dfu mode using ireb, should i be right to install custom fw now?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I can 99% guarantee you that my instructions will work for you. You might not have jailbroken but somebody else did it for you, you can't have the 6.15.00 baseband without tinkering with Redsn0w or PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze. Those tools are required to get the baseband you have now. With that baseband you can't possibly have a stock fw on 4.2.1 and up. Unless you have SHSHs for 4.1 or you can use iFaith (not clear if this can be done now considering it is in a boot loop and likely can't be recognized by softwares) to grab the SHSHs for 4.1 now.

I'm not going to confuse you with all these different options so I'm just going to tell you what I think you should do to get your phone working in the most efficient and easiest way.

1) Get Sn0wbreeze (if you're on PC, if on Mac get PwnageTool) from iH8Sn0w.com
    2) Get Redsn0w and a 4.3.3 ipsw to put into pwned dfu mode. I suggest redsn0w to do this bc it is the most reliable and consistent tool.
    3) Create a custom 4.3.3 firmware with Sn0wbreeze. I suggest creating your own bc downloading one that someone else created sometimes can give you corrupted firmware. It's better to use one you created yourself for your device.

Hi annie, could you possibly insist in explaining the purpose of the custom firmware... Why cant i just use a standard apple 4.3.3 fw? Also how do i check my base band (no idea what this is) if my iphone is stuck in recovery mode??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Custom firmware will preserve your current baseband also known as Modem firmware. You can see it in Settings > General > about.
    Obviouly , you can't see it as you are stucked in recovery mode.
    Restoring to stock firmware will flash your baseband according to the firmwae you restore, if the new firmware has an updated baseband, your baseband will be updated. Once updated, it cannot be downgraded. If you are using the official carrier for your iphone or you have a factory unlock iphone, you need not worry about this baseband issue.

In your earlier post in another thread, when you restore to stock 4.3.3 and ended up in recovery mode, did you get error 1015. If you do, then you must have the ipad baseband.
    You need to restore to custom firmware of 4.3.3 if that is what you want.
    You can create a custom fw of 4.3.3 from Snowbreeze 2.7.3 or Pwnage tools 4.3.3 without ipad baseband update.
    You must use the pwned dfu mode from the SB or PT tools or you can use Redsn0w RC17 , not to jailbreak but to put your iphone into Pwned dfu mode. This pwned dfu mode uses Limera1n exploit also know as bootrom exploit so that itunes will accept custom firmware.
    Once you are in pwned dfu mode, run itunes : shift + restore to custom firmware of 4.3.3
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-07-12 at 08:24 AM.

Ok, so are you telling me this issue has occured because apple included an 'ipad' baseband in something that was intended for an 'iphone'???. I haven't received any error messages during this whole process, just everytime a restore occurs itunes reopens and thinks my phone needs ANOTHER restore...

So this is what I am going to try when I get home:

1) Restore to official 4.3.3 from apple so that my baseband etc is current (my iphone isnt unlocked to any carrier)
    2) Get Sn0wbreeze (if you're on PC, if on Mac get PwnageTool) from iH8Sn0w.com
    3) Get Redsn0w and a 4.3.3 ipsw to put into pwned dfu mode.
    4) Create a custom 4.3.3 firmware with pwnage tools without ipad baseband?
    5) Restore to my custom firmware in itunes using option + click on restore...
    6) I should be out of restore loop?

(im a little confused on step 5 as I thought my iphone would need to be jailbroken to use custom firmware???)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can't restore to a stock 4.3.3 firmware bc of the iPad baseband. I told you to use a custom firmware for that reason. Stock 4.3.3 will put you into a DFU loop. You won't be able to get out of it.

Pwnagetool is for mac and sn0wbreeze for PC. you only use one not both.

You would create the custom fw, put phone into DFU with redsn0w, then restore to the custom fw.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You can't restore to a stock 4.3.3 firmware bc of the iPad baseband.
    Are you 100% sure about this? Whenever i restore to my 4.3.3 ispw i dont get any error messages, just when it reboots at the end of the restore process it is still in recovery mode... ;[

Quote Originally Posted by applaps View Post
    Are you 100% sure about this? Whenever i restore to my 4.3.3 ispw i dont get any error messages, just when it reboots at the end of the restore process it is still in recovery mode... ;[
    If its still in recovery mode at the end use RecBoot or Umbrella to push it out and your good

If it's on the iPad baseband then yeah your screwed for now

I've already tried RecBoot, fixrecovery43, iReb v4... I also tried jail breaking in DFU mode with redsn0w, it partly works but freezes and resets when the pineapple is loading at unpacking apps or something.

Installing custom fw is the only thing i havent tried so i will give it a go and report back...

The issue is that someone had me repair their home button because it was acting as if someone was pressing it when they weren't (along with a smashed screen). Apps would close, voice control would come on, the iphone would wake from sleep. I fixed the screen and replaced the home button, but the issues still occured. I attempted to update the iphone to the latest version 4.3.3. I did this without any errors, however when it rebooted I am now stuck in this loop... I just want it back to a working iPhone so I can tell them that the home button issue was not fixed and return them the phone the way they gave it to me, rather than giving them a brick and me potentially having to buy them a new one when I was helping them out in the first place.

I'll try custom fw and report back.

fk meeeeeeee this is annoying.

I installed pwnage tools. Selected 'expert mode'. Selected iphone 3g/3gs/4, browsed for ispw for 4.3.3 (iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ispw), enable baseband update is not selected (wont let me select it anyway). i enabled pwnd dfu, restore using my new custom firmware, still in recovery loop... :S
    Last edited by applaps; 2011-07-12 at 09:53 AM.

Hmmm

I opened black rain, put my phone into DFU mode, and it seems to have jailbroken it. I can open the phone now, it seems to be unlocked...

Strange now my home button doesnt seem to work at all, I have just put in a new home ribbon cable, I am convinced this is a software issue...

Also, no sim card I put in will get reception/make calls etc, even after I enter the password for the sim... any help?
    Last edited by applaps; 2011-07-12 at 12:41 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The only thing I can suggest is to create a new custom fw and restore again. It could be a jb that didn't go completely right.

Default Same boat...
    Hey, I happen have an iphone 3GS w/ipad baseband that is STUCK in restore mode as well and i get the same 1015 error when attempting restore (4.3.3) . I get your instructions and all however, I CANNOT get this freaking phone to turn off so i can put it in DFU mode, redsn0w's pwned DFU mode wont work because i cant even attempt to put the phone in DFU because it just keeps restarting before i can do anything. How do i put the phone in DFU with the recovery loop? Please help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

What you need is the pwned DFU mode or you'll never be able to restore to a custom firmware. The trick is to do things quickly when Redsn0w is running. I've done it many times. I know what you mean that the phone doesn't turn off. So what you do is when you're ready, redsn0w is loaded and ready with DFU mode selected, turn the phone off with a hard reset, and quickly hit continue in Redsn0w. Then follow the timer to set your phone into pwned dfu mode. It might take you a couple times to get it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast