Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advise for Iphone 3GS on 3.1.3 to Upgrade to which version 4.x...Need to have Tethering

Default Advise for Iphone 3GS on 3.1.3 to Upgrade to which version 4.x...Need to have Tethering
    Hello everyone. I currently have an Iphone 3gs on firmware 3.1.3 with baseband of 05.12.01

I want to know what version of 4.x should I update to so that I can keep my tethering. I use mywi apps to tether.

Thanks for any advise.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Update and activate (if no official SIM) with a custom firmware ipsw created by PwnageTool (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (PC) to 4.3.3. A custom firmware ipsw will retain the current modem firmware/baseband/unlock. MyWi works with 4.3.3.

great thanks. what do you mean if no official SIM??

the reason why i am upgrading is so i can use my iphone to tether to my toshiba thrive tablet running android 3.1. I read that I need to have the latest mywi to do that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple authorizes certain 'official' carriers. When activating an iDevice, everything is set-up nicely when an official carriers SIM is used. There are hacks for those who don't have one. PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze have the hack or 'option' to [h]activate.

I am surprised MyWi does not support tethering on 3.1.3. Are you sure it's not a different problem? Hate to have you go thru the update stuff and tethering still not work.

no tethering on 3.1.3 works great for laptop but can't get it to work on the tablet. i just updated mywi to 4.61.1 and it still can't find it so I'm thinking it might be because of the android 3.1 OS.

I would still interest in updating my phone to the latest firmware so i can download the latest apps. so 4.3.3 is good to update too? no issue or performance problems?

thanks for your help Mes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazyios View Post
    .... so 4.3.3 is good to update too? no issue or performance problems?...
    4.3.3 is good to go. I'm currently on 4.2.1 but lazy and don't want to run ultrasn0w on this factory unlocked 3GS

BTW: I would be suspicious of the Android 3.1 OS if you're not having problems elsewhere.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-07 at 10:54 PM.

so I got done downloading the file "iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw"

and have also downloaded redsnow.

I'm going to preserve my modem firmware at 05.12.01 so I won't have any issue.

So its not a good idea to update my modem firmware...if i do, would that make the phone lockedt only AT&T?

just want to cover all my base before I update the phone.

From what I read, updating to 4.3.3 will allow me to broadcast my wifi connection to make it a hotspot. If it does then I can use it with my toshiba tablet using the iphone internet connection.

Let me know if I got that right or if I'm missing something.

by the way, should i do tinyumbrella to backup my key?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

...and have also downloaded redsnow. ...
    No. redsn0w does NOT preserve the baseband. Use PwnageTool (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (PC) and BUILD a CUSTOM 4.3.3 FIRMWARE. The CUSTOM firmware MUST be loaded to preserve the baseband.

...So its not a good idea to update my modem firmware...if i do, would that make the phone lockedt only AT&T? ...
    Correct.

...From what I read, updating to 4.3.3 will allow me to broadcast my wifi connection to make it a hotspot. If it does then I can use it with my toshiba tablet using the iphone internet connection....
    I don't know if broadcasting your wifi connection will fix your tethering issue ... personally I don't think it will.

....by the way, should i do tinyumbrella to backup my key?
    Yes, yes, and yes. Did I say yes?

Note: Go to iClarified.Com / Tutorials section. Find one that fits your situation and read it, read it again, read it 20 times until you understand everything. Then go for it. If you run into issues/unknowns, don't guess. Go back a read it again or ask questions. It's fairly easy once a complete understanding of the procedure is acquired.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-08 at 12:56 AM.