Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs seems like there's no cure

Default Iphone 3gs seems like there's no cure
    Hello everybody, I'm sorry to open a thread as the solution is often by some search, but after two days of lurking and googling and searching i have to give up. Il try to describe the situation as accurately as possible.

Initially my jailbroken 4.2 iPhone, bought in England was working just fine, until the day i moved back to my country, Italy. Here, the 3 Mobile sim card i bought was giving some signal issues, so i called to costumer service, who tells me that I have to upgrade my phone to 4.3.3. I thank and say goodbye, very excited to benefit of my apple device in the country i was born in.That was very naive of me, of course. As you can imaginie, as soon as i clicked to "upgrade" my iphone was stuck in recovery mode (getting a 1015 errore,I'm quite sure). I wasn't too frightened, i can do it, i thought. So i started googling around, downloading all sort of apps, iReb, Tinyumbrella (which is useless if have not saved before the famous .shsh blobs, isn't it?), blackra1n (never worked), redsn0w, and god forgive me for those I forgot.
    None of these worked, of course, until i found a little guide on how to restore to 4.2 (which link i cannot retrieve, unfortunately). What I did was :
    - loading a custom 4.2 firmware and launching iphone in dfu with redsn0w
    - restored original 4.2 firmware via itunes
    - there was supposed to be a step 3, also the final one, but could't make it cause afterr that my phone entered an eternal state of DFU mode and there's no way i can get out of it. Tried everything, every combination of pressing here and there. Trying to downgrade the firmware with no success (getting 1015 or 3194, however the like).

In a few words, guys,

HELP.

Thank you,

Roberto

Thanks

Alright, here's what I want you to do.

1) Download PwnageTool (for OS X -- http://blog.iphone-dev.org) or sn0wbreeze (for Windows -- iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones) along with iOS 4.3.3 for your model of iPhone (3GS is located here: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...2_Restore.ipsw)

2) Open PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze and make a custom 4.3.3 firmware with "enable baseband update" disabled and "activate the phone" disabled (assuming your phone is either locked to a British carrier that you have a SIM for, doesn't matter if it's active; or is factory/carrier unlocked).

3) After your firmware is done, PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze should prompt you to enter "pwned" DFU mode: connect your iPhone, follow the instructions.

4) Open iTunes, restore to the custom IPSW you made. TinyUmbrella shouldn't be necessary, but if you'd like to use it, feel free.

That should take care of the 1015 issue, and your iPhone should be successfully jailbroken after the restore is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Alright, here's what I want you to do.

1) Download PwnageTool (for OS X -- Dev-Team Blog) or sn0wbreeze (for Windows -- iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones) along with iOS 4.3.3 for your model of iPhone (3GS is located here: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...2_Restore.ipsw)

2) Open PwnageTool/sn0wbreeze and make a custom 4.3.3 firmware with "enable baseband update" disabled and "activate the phone" disabled (assuming your phone is either locked to a British carrier that you have a SIM for, doesn't matter if it's active; or is factory/carrier unlocked).

3) After your firmware is done, PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze should prompt you to enter "pwned" DFU mode: connect your iPhone, follow the instructions.

4) Open iTunes, restore to the custom IPSW you made. TinyUmbrella shouldn't be necessary, but if you'd like to use it, feel free.

That should take care of the 1015 issue, and your iPhone should be successfully jailbroken after the restore is completed.
    Hello, first of all thanks for your help.
    I succesfully restored the phone as you described (itunes as well at the end of the process said the phone is restored with 4.3.3. etc.) but immediately after that phone turns black again (and itunes says it detected a phone in recovery mode).

Basically, it's the famous black screen of death.
    Last edited by marvinandroid; 2011-07-08 at 11:59 AM.

I did it! To make it work, i actually had to check "Activate", then it worked perfectly.
    Thank you very very much mate.
    There is hope to those stuck with a black screen.

Up this forum!