Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3GS Tethered Jailbreak and Unlock 4.2.1 06.15.00 UPGRADE

Default Iphone 3GS Tethered Jailbreak and Unlock 4.2.1 06.15.00 UPGRADE
    Hello all,

About half a year ago I jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 3gs. Unfortunately, due to an ill advised update via itunes via a friend, I was forced to do a tethered jailbreak and baseband upgrade.

I was wondering since some time has passed. Does anyone know if I can now "safely" jailbreak to a newer via (ie. the jailbreakme.com 4.3.3). I would love to not be tethered. Please keep in mind I 100% have to be able to unlock the phone after the jailbreak.

Also, I noticed after jailbreaking/unlocking the phone the battery life is AWFUL if I have 3G on. Drains in a couple of hours. Any idea what is causing this and if a new jailbreak/unlock would fix this?

Any and all information and tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You need to make a custom firmware for 4.3.3 with sn0wbreeze (no iPad baseband included in it) to restore to. That will upgrade you to 4.3.3 and jailbreak at the same time. You can only use custom firmwares and no other jb method as you have the 6.15.00 baseband.

Edit: before restoring to custom 4.3.3 you'll need redsn0w to use the pwned DFU mode option (this option only, do not try to install Cydia etc. with Redsn0w). This will avoid error 16xx in iTunes.

okay. so i should put it into DFU mode using redsn0w.
    then can i use redsn0w again to jailbreak using this custom firmware.
    then use cydia to unlock using ultrasn0w?
    will i have to also activate the simcard somehow?

Thanks Again!
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-07-07 at 01:05 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No you wouldn't use redsn0w for anything except DFU mode. Using a custom fw automatically upgrades and jailbreaks your device. If you have an official SIM card you can select to create an unactivated custom firmware (this is recommended) in Sn0wbreeze under the General menu in Expert Mode. If you don't have the SIM to activate with, then select Sn0wbreeze to create a custom fw that is activated which is as mentioned, in the General menu in Expert Mode.

You should create your own custom firmware for best results with Sn0wbreeze. I have removed the link you posted, please refrain from posting links to custom firmwares as that is not allowed on these forums.

i am running off of a mac. is there an alternative to sn0wbreeze?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Pwnage tools 4.3.3 or 4.3.3.1 to create a custom firmware of 4.3.3

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Remember to create a custom fw without the iPad bb option included or it won't work.

got it up and running great! thanks again for all of your help! nice to be once again untethered!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Glad it worked out for you