Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I just need to be pointed in the right direction ( Iphone 3G Jailbreaking/Unlocking )

Default I just need to be pointed in the right direction ( Iphone 3G Jailbreaking/Unlocking )
    Hello Guys

Im not sure if this belongs in this forum and if it does not I apologize. My parents gave me an iPhone that they never used it was pratically brand new in the box. I would like to unlock it and from what I read , I understand I need to jailbreak it first. I need some help and direction because I looked everywhere including youtube and im just not sure what to do because this phone has old firmware. If you can just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, im very computer literate so no need explaining me where the "start" menu is on windows...lol

I have the iPhone 3G (from system):

Version 2.1 (5F136)
    Modern Firmware ( 02.11.07 )

I own tmobile now so I would like it to work for it. Thank you again in advance for even trying to help I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

For 3g, i suggest you upgrade to firmware 3.1.3 not 4.2.1 because of lag and speed.
    Make sure you have itunes 8 or 9 or even the latest itunes.
    Download 3.1.3, 3.1.2 firmware from google iclarified firmware.
    Shift key + restore button in itunes , will bring up a box, and browse to stock 3.1.3 firmware
    Let it restore and you will arrive at emergency screen.
    If you have an unused official sim to trigger into homescreen , go for it.
    If not, then run redsn0w 0.9.4 and browse to stock 3.1.2 fw, it will hactivate and jailbreak for you.
    Once you are jailbroken, unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

hatemodding (2011-07-03)

Im currently download the 3.1.3 firmware from iclarified firmware. I didnt understand the part where you say if you have an unused official sim to trigger homescreen go for it"

I dont have any sim card inside, I have my tmobile sim card...should I put it inside the iphone while im doing the jailbreak or unlocking?

Thanks

Then don't worry about the sim, From Emergency screen , run redsn0w to jailbreak it. Rememeber to turn off 3g if you are using T-mobile to get signal after unlocking with Ultrasn0w.

but when i open itunes to start the first step of restoring and selecting the firmware i downloaded...i cant get there... i click on the iphone in itunes and theres no option there to restore the iphone...what am i doing wrong?

Thanks

If you are on a PC , press the shift key , hold it and press restore ( itunes)

i cant find the restore button...when i click on the iphone picture in itunes, that box that normally pops up with the iphones info is not there...am i looking in the wrong area?

or can it be because the iphone is not activated than the iphone "restore" wont show up in itunes. I dont think anyone ever used this iphone and theres no original sim card with it to activate it...
    Last edited by hatemodding; 2011-07-03 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks

Do you have itunes open yet , plug your iphone in. Make sure you don't just hit restore, it will take you to 4.2.1 and you are locked out.
    Press shift Key + restore button ( itunes) a box will pop up.
    If you have fiingerprints installed, then you must disable it.

it sais " There is no Sim Card installed in the iphone you are trying to activate"

Thanks

When you run itunes, what does it say, ask you to activate ?

if i put a tmobiel sim it sais not supported, if i put no sim card in it sais There is no Sim Card installed in the iphone you are trying to activate

there is no button that sais activate

Thanks

Have you restored to 3.1.3 yet ?

no..how do i restore without itunes...thats what im saying my phone isnt activated yet to even have the option to restore it or update it...

Thanks

If not, put your iphone into recovery mode : Turn off your iphone, while holding the Home button, plug your iphone into Computer until you hear a beep and itunes cable logo appears, click OK and OK. Just before you hit restore, press shift Key and restore button ( itunes) and browse to stock 3.1.3 ipsw which you have downloaded.

btw thank you for the help your giving me, I really appreciate it... do you have a paypal account, I would love to send you $5.00 if you can help me unlock/jailbreak the phone... i know your not doing it for money but i feel its worth it to send you 5.00 if you can completely help me unlock and jailbreak it.

i got the restore screen up im currently downloading 3.1.2 (3G): iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw
    should that 1 be fine?

Thanks

Since you need unlock, make sure you do not restore to stock firmware of 4.1 or 4.2.1. If you ever want 4.2.1, always restore to custom firmware to preserve your 3.1.3 baseband of 05.12.xx for Ultrasn0w unlock from Cydia.

Don't worry, i don't accept money , i am doing this for the jailbreak community.

Yes, you can restore to 3.1.2 if you want. Remember to press shift key before you hit restore
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-07-03 at 08:01 AM.

now that i see the restore screen in itunes, when I click shift+restore a browse window pops up, i selected the unzipped
    3.1.2 (3G): iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw folder that I made and theres no folder to select... theres two folders fseventsd or firmware --> allflash or dfu but when i click either one of them there is nothing to select inside of them...

Thanks

When you download the ipsw, and it comes in zip form , don't unzip, Just rename the extension of .zip or .rar to .ipsw, and this is the file

oo i gotcha ok ill try that right now

Thanks

OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast