Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question!

Default Question!
    Okay I first wish to thank all in advance for taking a look at this an attempting to answer!

Anyways I want to know:

I want to upgrade my jailbroken iPod's firmware which is currently 4.2.1. I want to restore the iPod and then upgrade the firmware and then rejailbreak it. Is this possible? I used greenp0is0n to jailbreak my iPod.

Thanks!

-Moe.

Thanks

Sure. For iOS 4.3.x, you'll need redsn0w 0.9.6rc18 (located here). Restore to the new IPSW (you can restore to 4.3.3 no matter what, otherwise you'll need to have saved SHSH blobs), then run redsn0w, and you'll be set.

EDIT: You can also run PwnageTool (for Mac) or sn0wbreeze (for Windows) to make a custom pre-jailbroken IPSW and just restore to that IPSW instead.
    Last edited by Orby; 2011-07-01 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Sure. For iOS 4.3.x, you'll need redsn0w 0.9.6rc18 (located here). Restore to the new IPSW (you can restore to 4.3.3 no matter what, otherwise you'll need to have saved SHSH blobs), then run redsn0w, and you'll be set.

EDIT: You can also run PwnageTool (for Mac) or sn0wbreeze (for Windows) to make a custom pre-jailbroken IPSW and just restore to that IPSW instead.

I've attempted to use redsn0w before but it failed me lol. And could you explain your steps in laymen's terms? I apologize beforehand for the inconvinience, it's just I've had my iPod for only a month and it's currently my only piece of Apple technology. I'm more of a PC guy and I understand those kind of files. And I'm also getting used to all the jailbreaking programs.

Thanks!

-Moe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You don't have to use custom firmware as there isn't any baseband to preserve.
    Just hit restore or shift + restore in (itunes) , browse to stock 4.3.3 and restore it.
    Run Redsn0w RC17 in xp2 compatibility mode to jailbreak your ipod touch 3g or 4g
    Just follow the instructions on redsn0w.