Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G downgrading. A simple question

Default iPhone 3G downgrading. A simple question
    Right now I'm using iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 firmware and I wanna downgrade it to 3.1.3 but i don't want to flush away all my text messages, so is there any way I can downgrade and save my text messages?
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yes, use any third party software on your computer to backup your sms, not itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Yes, use any third party software on your computer to backup your sms, not itunes.
    Thanks for replying. Can you name some third party software which can make backup of my text messages and then it can restore after the downgrade? Thanks in advance

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Copy this whole directory structure ( /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS ) to your computer (WinSCP/ssh/etc). Make careful notes about the current ownership (user mobile) and permissions (generally 644 for files and 700 for directories) of each file and directory inside.

After restoring to 3.1.2/3, set up your phone as new, then replace the contents of the current (and empty) /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS with your backup and set the ownership and permissions of all copied file and directories. Reboot.

Note: I have successfully used this procedure for Contacts (AddressBook), Calendar, and Notes and to some extent WebClips (SpringBoard internet web links)
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-06-30 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Copy this whole directory structure ( /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS ) to your computer (WinSCP/ssh/etc). Make careful notes about the current ownership (user mobile) and permissions (generally 644 for files and 700 for directories) of each file and directory inside.

After restoring to 3.1.2/3, set up your phone as new, then replace the contents of the current (and empty) /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS with your backup and set the ownership and permissions of all copied file and directories. Reboot.
    Dude are you sure this is gonna work?
    And I can't understand what you are trying to say about the permissions thing in paragraph one. Please explain it in a simpler way. Thanks

Thanks

I think Pkgbackup will backup your sms as well, after your backup , remember to sync with itunes first, your backup will be stored in contacts. Syhc your contacts after your restore > install pkgbackup and do your restore again from backup
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-06-30 at 01:47 AM.

Dude I already have a backup of my contacts, I just need a backup of my text messages.

I think I have to go with Mes. I hope it works.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-06-30 at 01:49 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

PkgBackup works great. I use it

I also do manual backups as I mentioned before for safety .... but PkgBackup is good, automatic, and doesn't require any unix knowledge.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Does pkgbackup require restoring from backup? Just curious as I've never used it and aptbackup requires it, bc iOS 4 backups won't load onto 3.x. If not then all systems go

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    PkgBackup works great. I use it

I also do manual backups as I mentioned before for safety .... but PkgBackup is good, automatic, and doesn't require any unix knowledge.
    Pkgbackup is a paid app is there anything available for free?

And ill be downgrading the firmware of my iPhone so if I'll copy the files from that directory and paste it after the downgrade, so it won't cause any kind of problem? Are you sure of this thing?

I think Pkgbackup will backup your sms as well, after your backup , remember to sync with itunes first, your backup will be stored in contacts. Syhc your contacts after your restore > install pkgbackup and do your restore again from backup
    After the downgrade I think I have to setup my phone as a new iPhone, I can't restore it From backup and I have the backup of my contacts in my email account.
    Last edited by Rahulw; 2011-06-30 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks

Sure you can, If you are using pkgbackup, install pkgbackup , select view restore > refresh it > select restore.

Sure you can, If you are using pkgbackup, install pkgbackup , select view restore > refresh it > select restore.
    Pkgbackup is a paid app...is there anything available for free??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rahulw View Post
    OpenSSH and manually copy/backup the files you want

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rahulw View Post
    Unfortunately, it is not free, I bought pkgbackup awhile ago and it was like only 2.99, now i think the price has gone up.

But it does install back most of the stuffs.