Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g error 6 on itunes

Thanks

Default iPhone 3g error 6 on itunes
    Hi there..Im having a problem with my iphone 3g running 4.2.1 on bb 6.15.00. Today the battery completely died out and when i tried to restarted after plugin it in, the phone went into DFU mode. no " connect to itunes" appears, but iTunes picks it up and it says "iTunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode" when i tried to restore to 4.2.1 ipsw, it installs it but then it gets stuck on "verifying iphone restore software" then it pops up with error 6. i have tried during the last 9 hours to redo it, i have tried tinyumbrella but it does not recognizes it, redsnow see's it, but when it loads the first step it get's stuck on "waitting for reboot" but nothing happens. it seem's like its in dfu mode, recovery mode. I have tried everything on the threads that i can find, including, hold power+home, going into the host file on both my mac and win7, but nothing works,, please help, this is my only phone and its i need it badly.. Any advice ? Suggestions ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can only restore or update to custom firmwares with the 6.15 bb. Official apple firmwares will no longer work and will error out everytime.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.. What I did was hit shift, and point to the ipsw that I downloaded, the same one that I use with redsnow. It would restore it and then I would use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode then it would work, but it gives me error 6 and Tinyumbrella doesn't recognize the device. It goes back to dfu mode. Any suggestions ? Do u think it's bricked ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If the ipsw isnt a custom made fw from either snowbreeze or pwnage tool then its gonna error out everytime since you are on a 06.15 baseband. My suggestion to you is to either make a cfw or find one that doesnt have the 06.15 baseband attached to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

JG5242 (2011-06-28)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Do you have the latest itunes installed ? Make sure you use the pwned dfu either from Redsn0w , Snowbreeze or PT to get your iphone int pwned dfu before restoring to custom fw of 4.2.1.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

JG5242 (2011-06-28)

Thanks

thanks for your reply.. I can actually make a custom firmware ? How can I do that ? And if I find one, how do I install it on my iPhone ?

I do have the latest iTunes.. And I can use redsnow to enter pwned dfu state, after that, how can I restore it ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You create a cfw using Snowbreeze for Windows and Pwnage Tool for Mac. Once its finished just dfu your device and get itunes to point to your custom ipsw and restore/update like normal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JG5242 View Post
    thanks for your reply.. I can actually make a custom firmware ? How can I do that ? And if I find one, how do I install it on my iPhone ?

I do have the latest iTunes.. And I can use redsnow to enter pwned dfu state, after that, how can I restore it ?
    Yes, you can do it with Redsn0w into pwned dfu state.

Thanks

i have been trying that, iTunes tells me that the iphone cannot be restored because the firmware file is not compatible, any ideas ?

i've been trying that for a while already and it says that the firmware file is not compatible, any suggestions ?

** the few times that the restore does go thru, itunes will have the status bar as saying " verying iphone restore" then thats when I get error 6. i read alot of threads and i have not everything that it says to do, even using another windows computer, but nothing. when the error pops up, the iphone goes into dfu mode again and i cant get it out of there.
    Last edited by JG5242; 2011-06-28 at 06:22 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you have SHSH for firmware 4.1 saved, you can stock restore to that firmware (although your 6.15 baseband will remain).
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbzr For This Useful Post:

JG5242 (2011-06-29)

Thanks

How do I do that ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

First check if you have the 4.1 SHSH saved for your device (either open Cydia and it should say at the top of the screen, or download TinyUmbrella (The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella) and save your SHSHs).

If you have SHSH saved for 4.1 firmware, download firmware 4.1 for your device (iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download).

Once you have downloaded the stock firmware, perform a custom restore via iTunes (Shift + Restore) and select the 4.1 stock firmware.

Let it perform the restore, you should be fine afterwards.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbzr For This Useful Post:

JG5242 (2011-06-30)

Thanks

Thanks for ur reply. I do have the shs saved, so I open Tinyumbrella, run or activate tss server (I believe) then go to iTunes and do a custom restore to the 4.1 ipsw ?