Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading iP4 from 4.0.2, where to?

Default Upgrading iP4 from 4.0.2, where to?
    Hate to add to the general clutter, but need some advice on what I should do.

Having some recent battery issues with my jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and figure it's time to upgrade to a newer iOS. I do also have the 1.59 baseband so looking to keep that (for resale purposes).

So my questions are:
    A) Do I want to upgrade to 4.2.1 (have SHSH saved) or is 4.3.3 the way to go?
    B) What's the actual method for either of those upgrades? A specific link would be fine, I just want to know it's applicable to my situation so I don't lose any functionality.

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it!
    Sean

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iPhone 4's are lucky, they can load custom firmwares or use TinyUmbrella to prevent baseband updates when loading stock firmwares. Either method works. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with. ie: iClarified - iPhone - How to Update Your iPhone 4 Without Upgrading the Baseband (Windows) 4.3.1. Don't rush it and understand what you're doing before starting. If the baseband is updated, that's it --- can never go down.

Personally I prefer the tutorials on iClarified.Com and recommend going to 4.3.3 (4.2.1 works well too). Ultrasn0w is needed, not for an unlock but to fix the one-bar signal issue.

Note: You're going to loose everything during a restore/jailbreak. Restore apps/music/settings w/iTunes. Cydia apps and data can be saved/restored w/PkgBackup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

seanpr123 (2011-06-27)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I suggest 4.2.1, sorry to disagree Mes I don't recommend installing Ultrasn0w if you're not actually going to use it. It might just add on to additional (but not really too bad) battery drain that isn't necessary. 4.3.3 isn't really isn't much improved from 4.2.1 aside from the new safari I believe. HOWEVER! 4.3.3 isn't a bad choice either

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

seanpr123 (2011-06-27)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're more than welcome to disagree I.Annie. I'm on 4.2.1 and happy .... and .... I don't want to use Ultrasn0w on this factory unlocked 3GS

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Haha, see even you don't want to use ultrasn0w when not needed!

Ha, thanks for the help guys.
    So I can follow the same instructions that are on the iClarified tutorial, but with 4.2.1? Is there a recommended place I download the firmware from? Do you have to worry about any malicious firmware out there? Do I have to worry about the Fix Recovery application?

I think that's about it, thanks again!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iClarified has all the links --- including the firmware links.