Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to jailbreak without sleep/wake button

Default How to jailbreak without sleep/wake button
    Hi I was reading another thread that was about the same topic but it didnt really make sense and it did not have a resolution. I am trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3G 4.2.1 but the sleep/wake button is broken. Is there anyway that I can jailbreak my phone still?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

On 4.2.1 no, there isn't. You have to go back down to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and use a jailbreak that doesn't require DFU like jailbreakme.com or spirit.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's hard to do if not impossible considering most all jailbreak tools require dfu mode to jb.

The only thing I can think of is for you to downgrade your phone to 3.1.3 and use jailbreakme or spirit. This of course requires an official SIM as neither tools hacktivate.

I wouldn't recommend 4.0.x on that device as there is terrible lag for it, but jailbreakme works on 4.0.1 and below. But you'd need SHSHs for that anyhow, so 3.1.3 is probably your best option.

This is assuming your phone isn't stuck in a state that requires you to set into dfu or recovery mode for iTunes to detect for restoring. But if you can restore to 3.1.3 and have an official SIM to activate with, you can jb fine with spirit or jailbreakme.

Edit: damn, beat me again Simon

Is there a way to downgrade without putting my phone in DFU mode? And i do have an official SIM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Can iTunes detect your phone as of now? If it can, you should be able to downgrade just fine.

Yes iTunes does detect my phone. Also I am not able to find the right ispw that matches my baseband. When I tried to do that I got the error from iTunes.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

? Firmwares don't need to match your baseband. Are you using a stock 3.1.3 firmware? Did you download the right one specifically for iPhone 3G? And what error are you getting?

I do not have my original 3.1.3 firmware. I downloaded one from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download and put my phone in restore mode by holding down the home button while the iPhone was connected to the computer. When it said it finished downloading (error 1015) popped up and my phone could not get out of recovery mode. I eventually got it back to normal but i have not tried it since.

I appreciate the help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

+1. make sure you're using exit recovery and not fix recovery option.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

OJohn30 (2011-06-27)