Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help me jailbreak/unlock my Moms 2g iphone

Unhappy Please help me jailbreak/unlock my Moms 2g iphone
    Hey everyone,
    My mom has a 2g iPhone on which I performed a jailbreak/unlock about a year or so ago. It is currently on software v 2.2 with modem firmware of 04.05.04_G.

My mom wants to use Skype to be able to talk to her family as cheaply as possible and i will need to upgrade the phone to 3.0 at least Ideally I would like to get it up to 3.1.3 so i dont have to worry about updating the phone again.

I am very confused as to what the appropriate method would be to upgrade and will i have to rejailbreak and re unlock the phone ? If anyone can tell me how to do this I will be really grateful.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

]Download 3.1.2, 3.1.3 ipsw, BL 3.9 and BL 4.6 & download redsn0w 0.9.4 and follow this GUIDE
    Just redsn0w 0.9.4 and browse to stock 3.1.2 ipsw from the Emergency Screen of your restored 3.1.3 ipsw.
    It wil hactivate, jailbreak and unlock all in one process.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-06-18 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks iyeow. I will attempt this and get back!

Default first effort
    So i tried it the first few steps on the guide. I got the phone up to 3.1.3 through itunes restore and before i even ran redsn0w the phone activated and i can make calls. I do need to jailbreak and sim unlock it though so the phone can be used internationally.

I started redsn0w and navigated to 3.1.3 lpsw but redsnow does not recognize this as being correct. If i understand your post correctly, i should download 3.1.2 and ask redsn0w to work with that? I was concerned that since the phone is now 3.1.3, using 3.1.2 as basis for redsn0w would create a problem ? Please do let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    ]Download 3.1.2, 3.1.3 ipsw, BL 3.9 and BL 4.6 & download redsn0w 0.9.4 and follow this GUIDE
    Just redsn0w 0.9.4 and browse to stock 3.1.2 ipsw from the Emergency Screen of your restored 3.1.3 ipsw.
    It wil hactivate, jailbreak and unlock all in one process.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Redsn0w 0.9.4 was built to recognize 3.1.2 and that is why you need to point to 3.1.2 ipsw. This is the procedure to do it and you will not have any problems.
    I understand you do need unlock, so checking the box for BL 3.9 and BL 4.6 will allow you to unlock for all GSM sim cards.