Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about no service on iPhone 3G

Default Question about no service on iPhone 3G
    I have an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1 (8C148) and 6.15.0 baseband. When I bought the phone used, it had iOS version 4.3.21 and I downgraded in order to install the iPad baseband so that I could both jailbreak and unlock the phone. The phone is now jailbroken, but when I insert my sim card I cannot get service. The sim card is active and works fine with my other AT&T phone, yet it says no service when inserted into my iPhone. Based upon what I can find out now through reading various forums and other sites, I did not need to unlock the phone since I already have an account with AT&T.

I now have two questions which I am sure someone in these forums can answer. First, am I correct that I did not have to unlock the phone since I already had an active sim card with AT&T? And secondly, would unlocking the phone under these circumstances give me the no service problem? What steps can I take in order to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

No replies yet? Wow! Surely someone here knows the solution to my problem. I am getting sooo frustrated having to carry two phones around, one for my calls and one for everything else. My iPhone is basically just an iPod now. Someone please help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You're correct, you didn't need to unlock to use AT&T. You possibly broke your GPS by using the iPad baseband. Secondly, having the iPad baseband shouldn't affect an active AT&T SIM card, unless the device you have is not locked to AT&T but to another carrier, for instance a Canadian or China carrier. Just depends on where the phone is from. You should attempt a restore to a custom 4.2.1 or stock 3.1.3 to see if it will alleviate the no service issue.