Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Modding/Jailbreaking Advice

Exclamation iPhone 4 Modding/Jailbreaking Advice
    So, I'm on 01.95.00 and 4.0.2. I'd really appreciate some advice on jailbreaking and making modifications to my phone. First and foremost, I want to make sure my phone doesn't lose any performance or stability by the modifications I do to it. I know that jailbreaking can compromise my phone's security due to the fact that I can load whatever apps I want to it, but I can deal with that. What I don't want is to deal with annoying problems that are directly due to the jailbreaking/modding I choose.

Although I haven't done anything to my phone as of yet, I do have a LOT of experience with computers, software, warez, and modding other devices, so basically, I can handle nearly any level of difficulty required. That said, I do have a life and would rather choose a well proven method rather than spend the next year trying to get my phone to work properly.

At this point, unless I hear compelling reasons to do more, I really just want to be able to load applications without being tied to using the iTunes store. It would also be cool to be able to store files in various directories that I could access via USB or a web browser, but that's not super important. I guess modding might be cool too, but I honestly don't know what's available. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Scott

EDIT: I think I'd also prefer to operate unteathered, as I don't usually have my laptop with me, and it would suck to have my phone out of commission if it crashes.
    Last edited by pwscottiv; 2011-06-16 at 09:33 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Upgrade to 4.3.3 and jb with redsn0w. Or stay on 4.0.2 and jailbreak with Limera1n.

If you're paranoid, maybe jailbreaking isn't the way to go for you. Take risks Whether jailbreak or not, iPhones can have problems either way, it's just how technology is. So don't expect things to go perfectly and flawlessly all the time when it comes to jailbreaking.

Hopefully when you say you don't want to be tied to apps from the app store/itunes store, you're referring to using third party Cydia apps, not cracked apps

4. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pwscottiv (2011-06-16)

Lol, I'm not "paranoid". I'm actually an extreme sports enthusiast... e.g. Base jumping, skydiving, paragliding, speed riding, street racing, etc. That being said, I operate a medical device development company and this phone is my primary method of communication with my clients, partners, and vendors. Basically, I can't screw it up.

I was thinking of using Redsn0w, but I wanted to get unbiased advice before throwing down what my thoughts were. What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with those two options? If I want to unlock sometime in the distant future, should I do something now to "save" my baseband? I've heard that preserving my baseband can cause more problems than it's worth if I don't currently need to unlock... Is that true?

Also, I have this "friend" who wants to use cracked apps , will using Redsn0w and Cydia be all he needs to do so?
    Last edited by pwscottiv; 2011-06-16 at 06:59 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well to ease the whole "can't screw up" aspect, no worries: A restore in most cases will alleviate any problems that may occur. Sometimes you can do everything 100% accurately but still it won't work or will take a few extra tries. With that being said, If you want to unlock some time in the future, you'd want to use a custom firmware. To do this you can create one with Sn0wbreeze for 4.3.3 and essentially upgrade and jailbreak at the same time. Preserving the baseband *can* create some side effects such as being on 4.3.3 it will make the signal bars stuck at one bar (cosmetic issue only) until you install Ultrasn0w. And it really isn't beneficial to install ultrasn0w if you're not needing to unlock ATM. Preserving the baseband doesn't really "cause any issues" per se but it does make the restore/upgrade/jb process slightly different than what I suggested earlier.

Unfortunately you or your friend with the cracked apps thing, I can't help you with that. We don't condone piracy here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pwscottiv (2011-06-16)

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Well to ease the whole "can't screw up" aspect, no worries: A restore in most cases will alleviate any problems that may occur. Sometimes you can do everything 100% accurately but still it won't work or will take a few extra tries. With that being said, If you want to unlock some time in the future, you'd want to use a custom firmware. To do this you can create one with Sn0wbreeze for 4.3.3 and essentially upgrade and jailbreak at the same time. Preserving the baseband *can* create some side effects such as being on 4.3.3 it will make the signal bars stuck at one bar (cosmetic issue only) until you install Ultrasn0w. And it really isn't beneficial to install ultrasn0w if you're not needing to unlock ATM. Preserving the baseband doesn't really "cause any issues" per se but it does make the restore/upgrade/jb process slightly different than what I suggested earlier.

Unfortunately you or your friend with the cracked apps thing, I can't help you with that. We don't condone piracy here.
    Ok, well I don't need to unlock right now, and I might never need to. It sounds like it's not worth the hassle if I don't need to. I was hoping there was some way to maintain/save my baseband in case I wanted to unlock, but I guess there will probably be hacks for future basebands as well, correct? I've heard that newer baseband releases sometimes included benefits beyond just defeating unlock hacks, is that correct?

So, I guess it looks like the best thing to do is to upgrade to the latest baseband and firmware, jb with RedSn0w, and then use Cydia to load any apps I want, correct? Is there anything else I might want to do? Thanks!

Aarrrrgggghhh!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Future unlock for future baseband is unclear. There hasn't been an unlock for the last 3 or 4 basebands recently released.

The only benefit besides patching exploits with newer basebands is likely just to improve reception and such related to. Don't know if it actually does help or not.

Like I said you can go to 4.3.3 and use redsn0w or stay on 4.0.2 and use limera1n. Up to you.

Edit: Don't know what else you'd want to do? I mean there's a ton of things jailbreaking can do for you, if you do some exploring in Cydia.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pwscottiv (2011-06-16)

Ok, what, if any, would be the advantages/disadvantages of going with RedSn0w versus Limera1n? Would the upgrade to 4.3.3 provide any sort of benefits over staying with my current firmware, or could there possibly be more problems/bugs with 4.3.3? Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Not really, they both do the same thing. If you want to stay on 4.0.2 that's fine, if you want to be upgraded to the latest firmware version then go to 4.3.3 and use redsn0w. There aren't many problems with 4.3.3 and 4.0.2 is a big outdated. Cydia apps, some are incompatible with 4.3.3. It's up to you if you want to be on the latest firmware or stay where you are, maybe wait till iOS 5 is released even. Which is this fall I believe.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pwscottiv (2011-06-16)