Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to move SMS history from 3GS to 3G

Default Trying to move SMS history from 3GS to 3G
    I took my 3GS and backed up the Text Messaging files from \Private\VaR\Mobile\Library\SMS

The two folders "Drafts" and "Parts" and the sms.db file and put all 3 in the same directory on my 3G. The messages are all showing up, but now I am not able to send or receive any texts. The Text Message screen just crashes when I tap SEND. Got me into trouble with the wife because in the middle of this, she sent me to the grocery store and then kept trying to text me to pick up more items. ....I never got them.

I have read I may need to change the permissions, but I don't get how to do that or if it will work. I'm using iPhone Explorer to transfer the files and I don't think it will let you change permissions.

also, why do some say to transfer the files in \Private\VaR\Mobile\Library\SMS while some say it's \User\Library\SMS

Which one is the correct path. They both have the same folders and sms.db files

When you SSH'd into your phone to replace the sms.db and the other files back into \var\library\SMS I assume you logged in as Root. You have everything right except when you log in to replace the database files you need to log in as mobile.
    Open SSH and log in as mobile instead of root. Password is still the same. Navigate to \Private\Var\Mobile\Library\SMS and replace the existing sms.db with your backup file. The permissions should be 0644.
    Then logout, reboot, and there you go.

Hit THANKS if it worked.

Thanks

I've tried many times to save SMS history then restore and put it all back into the root files, it never works properly. There is something that always goes wrong, its nothing to serious, just really annoying.
    Arthur "Goof"
    [email protected]

RIP Steve Jobs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Goof For This Useful Post:

hobiecatter (2011-06-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Griff1220 View Post
    When you SSH'd into your phone to replace the sms.db and the other files back into \var\library\SMS I assume you logged in as Root. You have everything right except when you log in to replace the database files you need to log in as mobile.
    Open SSH and log in as mobile instead of root. Password is still the same. Navigate to \Private\Var\Mobile\Library\SMS and replace the existing sms.db with your backup file. The permissions should be 0644.
    Then logout, reboot, and there you go.

Hit THANKS if it worked.
    On my phone anyways, there is only \VAR\Mobile\Library\SMS no \var\library\SMS so this is even more confusing. Did you actually mean to copy from \VAR\Mobile\Library\SMS and place into the \Private\Var\Mobile\Library\SMS on my 3G?

I tried that .... didn't work. I think I'm throwing in the towel. I'm with you Goof. I am not able to preserve my sms history while keeping my text message send/receive functional.