Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error message on restore - what could it mean?

Angry Error message on restore - what could it mean?
    Hello everyone im a newbie to the site. I used to be quite clued up on the scene until all this sh/it blobs crap came out, so annoying.

Anyway im getting error 1002 hardware fault.
    The background on the phone was previous owner had it jailbroken back on 3.1 since i bought it i havd retore back to factory settings and ran it unjailbroken and have since upto the 4.0.2 update. I have never tried to jailbreak this since i owned it.
    The issue arose when i had been running the software on the phone for over a month with no issues, then one day playing an app i have used many times it froze and came up with restore to itunes.... annoyingly it just kept looping.
    I tried the restore with no luck,and again with DFU mode (done properley) first i got a 1016 error i think. Then since i have had error 1002.
    At first i had a sim lock on and it would not let me connect to itunes but after removing this on another phone, i can now connect to itunes but keep getting the 1002 error on every attempt.
    Ive tried every usb socket on my pc.
    Downgrading to 4.1 which i was on previosly.
    created another user account installed itunes and tried to set up as a new phone.
    nothing works.
    I have recently updated to windows 7 from vista but i uninstalled and reinstalled itunes since.
    Before i got this issue i did nothing out of the ordinary, although i have noticed before if i sync my phone, guaranteed... it will want to restore a few days later out of the blue?? dont know why and its never caused an issue before, just the pain of restoring again.
    I know i wont be able to restore my account and i am willing to start fresh to get the bloody thing working!!

I am tonight trying to swap the cable and try to set up on a new pc?
    I may be one step closer to figuring this out then but in the mean time can anyone shed any views on my situation?
    Any help appreciated please guys and girls.

Thanks

Error 1002 usually doesn't bode too well--unfortunately, that error isn't particularly well understood and is usually indicative of iPhone hardware failure.

Can you please post your restore logs (%AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs\ on Windows XP/Vista/7; ~/Library/Logs/iPhone Updater Logs/ on OS X) on a site like pastie.org and link it back here? Thank you.

Hello thanks for the reply. I have tried a new pc and cable last night but again error 1002. Might just take it to the phone repair centre but i begrudge paying for a service when 99% of the time it just needs a straight forward restore. On my ipod touch previously i had a similar issue and i used a program to kick it out of recovery mode and that worked but im unsure what i used as it was a while ago now.

Do you know how to kick my phone out of the restore process? it gets right to the last point then (where usually it would reset and restart the iphone instead it is just saying error 1002 and my phone goes back to the restore to itunes image. This is really frustrating as apple offer no support, and i cant identify the issue to have it fixed.

I wonder if installing a jailbroken firmware would work? but im guessing i will still get that error.
    Perhaps a downgrade will work but im not sure if it will now.

Anyway any news or tips please let me know. I have tried new cables new pc and with and without the sim inserted.
    \do you know anyone who has overcome this issue?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Error 1002 usually doesn't bode too well--unfortunately, that error isn't particularly well understood and is usually indicative of iPhone hardware failure.

Can you please post your restore logs (%AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs\ on Windows XP/Vista/7; ~/Library/Logs/iPhone Updater Logs/ on OS X) on a site like pastie.org and link it back here? Thank you.
    Sorry i forgot to mention this, I can produce error logs and will take a look when i get back to my pc at home. I will take a look but thats to technical for me, im an advance user i believe but that goes beyond me. I will post tonight if possible.
    Thanks for your offer of help.
    Last edited by therealriley; 2011-06-15 at 09:27 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I agree with Orby. Error 1002 is likely a hardware failure and isn't going to be fixed via software methods. Might be time to take it to Apple if possible.

Ive decided to take it to an iphone unofficial repair centre, she said its a 3 day limit and he would probly have it done tomorrow, that was four days ago lol cost me 25 so far. Hopefully he will call me tomoz with good news!

nearly a week now

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Bummer... I don't know the likelihood of an iPhone recovering from a hardware failure but hopefully those people know what they're doing.