Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with Iphone 3GS SW upgrade. I apologize for the lengthly post

Default Help with Iphone 3GS SW upgrade. I apologize for the lengthly post
    I'm new to this so, please bare with me if I appear too needy. I didn't see any fresh posts on this, most were dated in 2010 and I know this stuff changes at Apple's whim.

Here's my current baseline. Jailbroken iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3, unlocked BB 5.12.01 Windows XP Pro Machine. All working fine except I can't run some of the newer APPS designed for 4.0 and up.

Yesterday I spent 5 hours trying to upgrade the SW to 4.2.1 as my brother loaded this version and his Jailbroken and unlocked iPhone works fine. It didn't work and it appeared I trashed my phone. Somehow it reverted back to the 3.1.3 settings. I don't know how or why?

Here is what I did yesterday. Synced phone on iTunes. Checked for a back up file on iTunes. I then ran the iPhone 4.2.1 IPSW on SnObreeze 2.2.1 which, output a modified IPSW file and prompted me to put the phone in program mode. I then ran iTunes and and pointed iTunes to the modified IPSW file via a shift/restore, without success. I received a 3194 error. After some research, I added the 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com line to my host file, rebooted the computer, which did not allow the restore as I still received the 3194 error. I repeated the whole process, with a newly downloaded IPSW file and a new copy of SnObreeze thinking one or both might have been damaged. Same result.

After joining this forum this morning, I noted that Tiny Umbrella might be the answer. I just downloaded it and ran it. After running it, it appeared it saved my HSHS(?) files to Cydia as it gave me a summary of all the IOS versions, and only 4.2, 4.3.3 and I think 5 something were check marked in green. I then assume I am good to go to upgrade to either 4.2 or 4.3.3?

Obviously I don't want to loose my current BB, which is why I have to avoid iTunes offer to restore to 4.3.3.

After reading a number of the forum, posts, I think I have this right. So the questions I have are as follows.

1. If my assessment of the Tiny Umbrella is correct, it makes sense to go to IOS 4.3.3 jailbroken, with my current unlocked BB, but I'm uncertain of that process and I don't want to screw up my BB version.

2. Assuming the procedure I attempted was correct the new proceedure would somehow add Tiny Umbrella?

3. So this is what I THINK I should do. Download Apple 4.3.3 IPSW file (I assume I can down load that?) then run it on the latest SnObreeze ver 2.7.3.

4. Perform a restore, but first run TinyUmbrella then iTunes using shift/restore pointed to the modified 4.3.3 IPSW file output from SnObreeze? Both programs running.

5. Do I remove the 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com from my host file?

I apologize for asking such specific questions, as I really don't want to go through the anguish I had yesterday when I thought I bricked my phone.

Thanks in advance for any clarification, comments missing steps or corrections someone can provide.

Remove the 74.208.... host file. Download the latest version of sn0wbreeze. Make the custom 4.3.3 firmware. Follow sn0wbreeze's instructions to enter pwned dfu mode. Open iTunes. Click shift on the keyboard and keep holding shift. Click restore on the computers screen found in iTunes. After a pop up box will show up. Choose the custom firmware you have made with sn0wbreeze. The baseband will remain at 05.12.01.

Default Your Recommendation
    Much thanks for the recommendation. I initially had an error, but I turned off my firewall and it worked perfectly. Now have 4.3.3 Jailbroken and my BB is unlocked.

I really appreciate the help.

No problem.