Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 Spirit JB to 4.3.3?

Default iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 Spirit JB to 4.3.3?
    Hi guys, I'm new and before I begin I would like to apologise for my lack of knowledge of anything remotely technical. Also, you have probably seen these threads before and I did search but most of them were really old or the latest ones seemed to be quite unique to the individual with terms I didnt understand so I thought maybe it's best I get some one-to-one advice.

As the title says, I have had an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.3 spirit jailbroken NEW BOOTROM (serial week 52) for a while now and it's all been fine but lately I feel like I'm so restricted and therefore feel it's time to upgrade to 4.3.3 jailbroken (is that the latest?). I'm running on windows 7.

I would like to keep my apps ideally but if it's much easier to just go back to scratch then **** it, I'd rather the easy way and lose everything then the complex hard to do way and keep it all.

If anyone has a good step-by-step tried and tested link to an instruction page then that would be great, otherwise if anyone's willing to invest some of their valuable time into me then I would be grateful, but you'll really have to strip down instructions to the basics (sorry).

Thank you!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Assuming all your apps are legit, just upgrade to 4.3.3 through iTunes (do a backup first). iTunes will restore them after it upgrades the IOS.
    I suggest that you use a snowbreeze/pwnage tool ipsw. So download one of those programs (snowbreeze for windows, pwnage tool for mac), and the 4.3.3 ipsw. Follow the instructions that come with those programs to put your phone into DFU mode, then upgrade through iTunes using shift+restore.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    Assuming all your apps are legit, just upgrade to 4.3.3 through iTunes (do a backup first). iTunes will restore them after it upgrades the IOS.
    I suggest that you use a snowbreeze/pwnage tool ipsw. So download one of those programs (snowbreeze for windows, pwnage tool for mac), and the 4.3.3 ipsw. Follow the instructions that come with those programs to put your phone into DFU mode, then upgrade through iTunes using shift+restore.
    Thanks for the reply. By legit, what do you mean? All are from **********/cydia.

So to confirm, you are certain all I need to do is just plug my iphone into my laptop, upgrade to 4.3.3 through iTunes and then download snowbreeze to ipsw? what's ipsw? And what's DFU mode, why do I need to do that? I hate feeling like an idiot

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Go into settings -> about, and see what your modem firmware version is. If you have 05.13.04, you want to use snowbreeze.
    Sn0wbreeze is an application.
    ipsw is the file type that iTunes uses to upgrade your iphone IOS. So you want the 4.3.3 ipsw.
    DFU mode is Data Firmware Upgrade mode, this will allow you to upgrade your iphone using the ipsw that you modified using sn0wbreeze.

Hey, I have exactly the same original question as beartrapp55, except my iphone is a 3G on 3.1.3 (7E18) with 05.12.01 firmware that was jailbroken with Spirit. I need 4.3.3 to run new apps.

Would I alos use Sn0wbreeze in the way you have described or something else??

Any help greatly appreciated!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K View Post
    Hey, I have exactly the same original question as beartrapp55, except my iphone is a 3G on 3.1.3 (7E18) with 05.12.01 firmware that was jailbroken with Spirit. I need 4.3.3 to run new apps.

Would I alos use Sn0wbreeze in the way you have described or something else??

Any help greatly appreciated!
    You would do the same thing but 3G only went up to 4.2.1 and you would use the snowbreeze for that version (2.2.1 sn0wbreeze)

Thanks man youre a star