Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Broken Screen (not glass) - Possible to still use phone over VNC? Remote instal Veency?

I've got an iPhone 4 that I dropped in water two days ago. It works fine, itunes recognizes it, I can even pick up calls! BUT! All of this happens withe the screen off. So my idea was, until I figure out how to get it fixed / get a new phone, I could control it / see whats supposed to be on the screen from VNC.

My phone is already jailbroken and on 4.1, I have an iMac with a vnc program already, I just need to be able to install Veency on my iPhone without actually BEING on my iphone. Via SSH maybe?

If anyone could help me, it would make my life much easier! Thank you

I'm currently trying to use bits and pieces from this (The Tell-Tale R • Working Around a Broken iPhone Screen) tutorial to accomplish this. We'll see if it works.

Currently trying to 'pre'-install Veency through 'Expert Mode' of Pwnage Tool.
    Last edited by Super Intendo; 2011-06-01 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks

You could always run "apt-get install veency" over SSH or scp/sftp over this .deb and run dpkg -i (.deb package location in the filesystem). May be simpler than trying to restore the device blind.

EDIT: Assuming you've got your device on a Wi-Fi network and know/can determine its IP address. Otherwise, you'll probably need to go the restore-AFP-usbmux to local VNC-VNC route...
    Last edited by Orby; 2011-06-01 at 03:02 AM.