Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bluetooth problems with v4.0 and up

Default Bluetooth problems with v4.0 and up
    There are tons of threads about this on Apple's site, but I'm guessing it would be a TOS violation to post info which talks about jailbreaking. Therefore, I thought I'd try here. Here's the nutshell issue.

iPhone, as we all know, has great Bluetooth capability, but they hosed something with the jump from 3.x to 4.x. Apple knew it because it was listed as one of the fixes from 4.0 to 4.1. Now at 4.3, it is still not working. I have a Pioneer FH-P8000BT stereo in my truck with bluetooth interfaces for both the phone as well as audio output like ipod or Pandora. These are set up on 2 different inputs on the Pioneer. When BT pairing through the menus, but the phone and the audio inputs work flawlessly. Problem occurs after the truck is turned off. When turning the truck back on, the phone will automatically reconnect, but the BT audio input WILL NOT. Even if you manually go to the input, it will go through a manual search but wind up as "No connections found" or something like that. The only way to reconnect the audio is to "forget" the devices on both ends, and then re-establish the connection from scratch. Definitely not something I want to do everytime I get in the truck. The reason I know that the problem is on Apple's end is that both inputs connected automatically when on 3.x.x. The functionality disappeared with 4.x, and obviously nothing changed inside my stereo.

I'm not super techie, but it has something to do with the A2DP bluetooth profile. If you google the words "A2DP iphone problem", you'll see all the hits. As of now, there is no solution other than the start over from scratch scenario. Here's my idea (which is where the JB would be required):

Does anyone know where in iPhone's file structure the bluetooth settings are stored? I'm wondering if I could find an old 3.x profile, pick up the applicable (driver?) files from there, and then put on the 4.3.3 phone. Would that work??

This same issue evidently affects certain bluetooth headsets, and other mfr's stereos. Anything that requires the A2DP. Sorry for a mini-novel on my first post, but any ideas out there?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I am not an expert on this but when you say the truck is turned off, all memory is lost, therefore you need to pair it up again unless there is so kind of memory to remember the pairing. A2DP technology works when you turn on the Bluetooth e.g headset, even though the idevice is paired, you still need to click connect before it gets connected

Thanks for the response, but there are 2 problems:

1 - The automatic pair for both the phone and BT audio inputs worked flawlessly in iOS 3.x.x without having to push any extra buttons. They just connected in sequence within 30 seconds of the truck being turned on.

2 - Even now, when I manually click on the BT audio, I see my phone listed. I click on my phone name on the radio, and it flashes "connecting" for about 5 seconds. Then it errors out & says "No connection". The ONLY way I've found to get it to reconnect is to forget the radio device on the phone, and then re-establish connection from complete scratch.

Any other ideas? I think I found the location of the BT files in the iPhone file structure. Does anyone have a JB phone still on iOS 3.x? If so, please message me. It's just 2 small files. I'd love to get those in e-mail just to see if simply writing over the newer 4.x driver files would solve the problem. Morbid curiosity.

Default Any progress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vol4Ever View Post
    Thanks for the response, but there are 2 problems:

1 - The automatic pair for both the phone and BT audio inputs worked flawlessly in iOS 3.x.x without having to push any extra buttons. They just connected in sequence within 30 seconds of the truck being turned on.

2 - Even now, when I manually click on the BT audio, I see my phone listed. I click on my phone name on the radio, and it flashes "connecting" for about 5 seconds. Then it errors out & says "No connection". The ONLY way I've found to get it to reconnect is to forget the radio device on the phone, and then re-establish connection from complete scratch.

Any other ideas? I think I found the location of the BT files in the iPhone file structure. Does anyone have a JB phone still on iOS 3.x? If so, please message me. It's just 2 small files. I'd love to get those in e-mail just to see if simply writing over the newer 4.x driver files would solve the problem. Morbid curiosity.
    Hello Vol4ever,

I've got the same problem (Pioneer BT autoradio). The only progress is with 4.3.3, I only need to put autoradio in "Ready for connecting" mode, then enter in bluetooth menu of the iphone and click on Pioneer device, and I don't have anymore to enter the PIN code. (better than nothing).

Thank you for your answer if you found how to solve this issue,

++