Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 Stuck on Apple Logo

Default Iphone 4 Stuck on Apple Logo
    Hey guys!

Alright, so I recently jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 4.

It worked fine, but then the mic and speaker stopped working in phonecalls. At first the phonecalls would work for a few seconds, and sometimes all the time. But then I could hear the person on the other end, and they could not hear me. And then I could send and receive calls, but during the call I could hear nothing, and the person on the other end could not hear me. (Voice control and recording functions worked fine, and it played music on the speakers .)

So I decided to try to redo the jailbreak and see if that would fix it.

But first I needed to restore it to how it was originally.

Couldn't get the restore to work on itunes, I kept getting error 1604. (while TinyUmbrella was running with my Ssh files saved)
    So I had the bright idea to use the erase all settings button in the iphone itself...

And now its stuck on the loading screen when I turn it on. First, the apple logo appears, and then after about a minute the little loading circle thing appears above it, frozen.

I've tried using TinyUmbrella's "Fix Recovery Loop" Feature.

05/26/2011 08:07:41.776 DFU Device connected
    05/26/2011 08:07:45.715 Attempting to fix recovery...
    05/26/2011 08:07:46.109 Starting fix recovery sequence...
    05/26/2011 08:07:46.335 Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot!

But then the device never reboots.

It is running 4.0.2
    Baseband 1.59.00

Now, when i try to restore using itunes by shiftclicking on restore, clicking on the 4.0.2 I downloaded, (while running tinyumbrella) it gives me error 1604.

One thing to note - While I was trying to jailbreak this device, NONE of the ispw files I found worked with ANYTHING. Itunes wouldn't allow me to restore, snowbreeze wouldn't recognize them as valid ISPWs, and neither would redsnow.

So I'm gonna try this on another computer, but I don't have access to one at the moment and was wondering if anybody knew of anything else I could try.

Hope somebody can help!

-Jack

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The best I can think of that's probably the easiest way out is to restore to a custom 4.3.3 firmware. Get redsn0w to set the phone into pwned dfu mode, open TinyUmbrella and under advanced uncheck the box to point to cydia on exit, exit TU and open iTunes, then do the shift+restore to custom 4.3.3.

You could do this as well if you have SHSHs for 4.2.1 but it seems like you have issues using the TSS Server in conjunction with restoring with iTunes. So I'd suggest to try a restore to a currently signed firmware.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Addy k (2011-07-09), ceyril (2011-05-27)

Thanks

Annie is spot-on with the suggestion of making a custom 4.3.3 firmware and restoring to that--in fact, it's the safest and easiest way to both preserve your baseband (even if you don't use ultrasn0w for a cellular unlock, keeping the possibility of doing so later either for yourself or a resale customer is wise) and maintaining a jailbreak while likely fixing the sound issues (it's a fairly common bug for iPhone 4 on 4.0.x firmwares).

PS: For future reference, "Fix Recovery" is designed for iPhones on iOS 4.2.1 or greater that have a mismatched baseband and cannot boot up normally after a restore. So it's not supposed to work in this situation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

ceyril (2011-05-27)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Informative as always orby. I see you've learned how to dumb down the techy language lol.

Alright!

So I did what you said, downloaded 4.3.3 and made my custom firmware using snowbreeze. Got redsnow to do its snazzy dfu thing, restored through Itunes and my phone rebooted and turned on properly and after unlocking it again I am being bombarded by text messages!

However, The phonecall thing is still an issue.
    Can't hear anything when I call voicemail or anybody else for that matter
    No ringtone, just silence. I assume they can't hear me either if this is the same problem I had prior

You have no idea how many times I tried older firmwares using snowbreeze and redsnow and received the invalid ispw over and over... I have no idea why I never came across upgrading to a newer version while keeping the baseband.

But I am very very glad to at least have texting and music again!
    Thanks so much for your quick responses you guys

If theres anything I can do about this phonecall issue though, that'd be downright wonderful

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Are you restoring your device from backup?

I didn't feel a need to restore from a backup, I just synced my contacts from google. I Figured things that work on normal iPhones dont always work on jailbroken ones.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's odd then. Usually setting up as new would resolve any issues. Could be some sort of hardware fault in your device in regards to your calls problem. I'd suggest taking it to Apple and getting an exchange, if that's possible at all.

Sadly it is not, I bought the phone off of craigslist so I was expecting something like this.

Funnily enough actually, it came in an iPhone 4 box, instructions, manuals, and the box was even in an [email protected] plastic bag!

However, I opened the back of the box and the label says iphone 4... 32gb

I bought a 16 gb iphone, bought from a crafty devil huh?

But anyway, you fixed my original issue so thanks a bunch! I'm gonna post a thread in another section regarding my phonecall problem and see if I have any luck with that.

Best,

Jack
    Last edited by ceyril; 2011-05-27 at 09:47 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ah well that's good enough lol. Honestly though, I don't think it matters to Apple how you got the phone. It's still an Apple iPhone (well unless it's stolen, but certainly that isn't the case). I mean if it's too out of the way to try, don't go out of the way then. But if you just so happen to be able to swing by Apple and say hey my iPhone isn't working right they might just exchange it. I don't think they'll ask you to have the box and all that jazz with it. But yeah like I said if it is too out of the way, don't waste effort if you're not sure about whether Apple will help you or not.

Well theres actually an apple store right across the street, so getting there isn't an issue.

But if I get it replaced, won't they give me a brand new one with the most current firmware?

I need to unlock it to use my phone service, and I'm not sure how I feel about trying gevey sim out. Better a guaranteed iPhone with text than one that I might into be able to use ya know?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah you'd end up getting a refurbished phone. It may not have the latest fw but it's likely the baseband won't be the one thats unlockable since it's a pretty old baseband. It's always a risk.

But yeah it's up to you. I've heard good things about Gevey but it's up to you.

Hey sorry to bring this thread back up, but I am having the same issue as the OP with my iphone 4. I did exactly as Annie said in the earlier post, but then I got error 3194 after I thought it was actually going to restore. I looked up different ways on fixing error 3194 (adding a line to the hosts file, for example), but I still can't fix it. This is basically a new iphone 4 out of the box that just froze after I jailbroke it and now is forever stuck at the apple logo screen. Every time I try to restore I get error 3194 and I tried using redsn0w to jail break and use custom IPSW but it would just go to the apple screen again. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default My 2 cents
    Hey Addy!

You might want to wait for one of the other's to respond, but I remember having an issue like that

Are you trying to jailbreak and unlock your phone, or just jailbreak it?

My iphone would turn on, and the apple logo would show up with the little spiraling circle.

The circle would stop spiraling after 10 or 15 seconds, and it would be frozen over the logo. Nothing else would happen. However, it was still possible to put the phone into DFU mode.

All I had to do was do I normal itunes restore to fix it (At this point, I was no longer interested in preserving the baseband since I had the gevey sim to do an unlock)

The program tiny umbrella has an option under advanced that you can unchceck "Set hosts to cydia on exit"

If you uncheck that with your iphone plugged in, then click apply changes, then restart your computer, you should be able to restore your custom firmware.

However, I'm not sure if that will work since your phone is currently bricked

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ceyril For This Useful Post:

Addy k (2011-07-10)

Yeah that's basically what I did and it worked. I did it this morning, but thanks anyway! Hopefully other people who get this problem know what to do. Just to summarize, in laymen terms, for others with this problem in the future this is basically what I did:
    1) put phone in DFU mode using redsn0w 0.9.6rc18
    2) unchecked "set hosts to cydia on exit" in tiny umbrella
    3) use shift + left click on itunes restore
    4) select firmware (I used default 4.3.3) - you can customize using sn0wbreeze
    5) jailbroke using jailbreakme.com and downloaded ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock