Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Solution to ipad bb unlocked 3GS upgrading without any special tools

Exclamation Solution to ipad bb unlocked 3GS upgrading without any special tools
    1. download the desired fw you want to upgrade to in this case 4.3.3 (latest),
    2. manually restore or just update the fw in itunes, when the restoring/updating gets to the flashing the baseband part it will give an error (this is good) then kick you into recovery mode.
    3. download the latest redsn0w which is 0.9.6rc16, add the firmware ipsw you downloaded, if you havent get it at " iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download " then go ahead with the regular jb process.
    KEY STEP! check flash ipad bb. this is what finishes the updating/restoring process outside of itunes (this method was despretly discovered by me or so ithink).
    4. once redsn0w has done its job of jailbreaking and flashing the ipad bb your iphone will go into the apple logo with the loading bar as if it were when restoring, its going to load the skip most of the bar and just boot.
    5. VOILA! you have now successfully updated your bb unlocked iphone without the need of any special bundles or tools not available to pc users (:

BTW this is proven by me and has been done multiple times and checked to see if my theory of the ipad bb being flashed is the key to kicking the phone out of recovery

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

PC users may use Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware to restore to. This method is a one step jailbreak and upgrade process that may fare efficient. However, congratulations on your success

I just find a custom firmware is a lot easier to go through is all.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    PC users may use Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware to restore to. This method is a one step jailbreak and upgrade process that may fare efficient. However, congratulations on your success

I just find a custom firmware is a lot easier to go through is all.
    That's also true, but imean it surprized me that I was able to finish it without needing itunes

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sometimes iPhones do funny things that can't be explained

But yeah it's probably best to try more traditional methods to be on the safe side unless you're absolutely stuck and have to desperately try other things (in your case ). I have had to use extreme measures that aren't normally done to get some of the devices I work with to work as well so I get this haha.

Hehe that's true but I mean the more methods there are the better and who knows one of them could lead to a new jb method that everyone would love in the future (:

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It does seem 4.3.3 has been problematic with redsn0w lately though when it comes to upgrading the bb and jailbreaking. I've been having problems helping people fix the issue and just resolved to using a custom firmware

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    It does seem 4.3.3 has been problematic with redsn0w lately though when it comes to upgrading the bb and jailbreaking. I've been having problems helping people fix the issue and just resolved to using a custom firmware
    I personally haven't Encountered any issues but it would be kinda nice to be able to revert back to a regular bb