Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading iPhone 3G (Custom 3.1.3) to Custom 4.2

I recently downgraded my iPhone 3G to 3.1.3 because 4.2 was kind of slow. Because I'm on T-Mobile, I had to download the iPad baseband which, as I understand it, means I can never restore to an official firmware ever again (this was done to unlock it). I'm not exactly sure which tool I used to do this but I think it was Redsnow or something like that. Anyway, I think I screwed up something by jailbreaking again from jailbreakme.com. Besides that, I think push notifications didn't work so I decided to go back to 4.2. I downloaded a custom 4.2 firmware and tried installing it through iTunes. Gave me error 1604 twice. I googled the error to see if anyone found a way past it and I tried some suggestions but it still gave me the same error. Then I tried just straight up restoring (not with a custom but with whatever iTunes downloaded) and it gave me error 1015. Downloaded iREB to get rid of that error, but it didn't work. Now I'm just stuck on the connect to iTunes screen. Any suggestions?

For anyone else with error 1604, I found this website: Fix 1604, 1602, 1600, 29 Error During iPhone Custom Firmware Restore | iPhoneHeat. Will now try all those solutions and post back if it worked
    Last edited by Ir0nMa1deN; 2011-05-26 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Use redsnow 0.9.6rc8 to enter pwned DFU. Then try restoring to the custom 4.2.1 again.

I'd try that but the link is down. Currently looking for some other place to get it.

i was about to download that one but I wasn't sure since it said it was for iOS 4.3.2. I found a torrent for 0.9.6rc8 and it's going now. Just to let you know, I tried a tool similar to this one (actually it might have even been redsnow) and I couldn't get into DFU mode. After about 10 seconds, when I let go of the power button, the screen turns off. Maybe I'll have better luck with 0.9.6rc8.

Well I think I see the problem now. When I tried putting in that custom 4.2 firmware into Redsnow, it says "Unable to recognize specified IPSW." Looks like I'm gonna have to find a different one.
    Last edited by Ir0nMa1deN; 2011-05-26 at 03:50 AM.

Thanks

You use regular firmware with redsnow, not custom. You need to point redsnow to a regular 4.2.1 firmware. rc8 or rc16 will recognize 4.2.1 regular firmware no problem.

Also your screen is supposed to be black when it is in DFU.

Oh yeah I remember now. I had this same problem when I was jailbreaking before LOL. Actually, I'm pretty sure I even had the exact same error 1604 and used redsnow to fix it. I really hope this works. One last quick question, 4.2 has multitasking right? Just double-click the home button? Cause when I had the official 4.2 it didn't work

Thanks

No, you would have to enable multitasking on a iPhone 3G. You can use something like ztoggle from cydia to enable it after, although it will REALLY slow down your iPhone if you do.

yeah i saw that in the options. Don't think I'll enable it then. After the firmware is installed, I run redsnow again to install cydia, correct? And then i can get blacksnow from cydia to unlock?

Thanks

You dont need to use redsnow to install cydia after when using a custom firmware. Custom firmware has cydia pre-installed normally.

You would install ultrasnow to unlock after.

rofl I keep forgetting this stuff. of course it has cydia if it's custom. And yeah ultrasnow was what I used last time too I just forgot the name Thanks for all your help. It just finished restoring and now it's done. I just need to activate it with a ATT sim card now. hopefully i find someone that'll lend it to me