Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is it ok to upgrade 3g iphone 3.1.3 to 4

Default is it ok to upgrade 3g iphone 3.1.3 to 4
    i read in the pdf "are you jailbreakable " ... not to upgrade your iphone 3g 3.1.3 to 4. that it was not usable or stable , i wanted to upgrade to newer firmware so i could get the apps that require the newer version to run , if anyone could give me some sug i would appreciate it ...thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You can go to 4.2.1 but it will run a bit slower than 3.1.3.

thanks for the reply , i did my first jb with this using spirit , am i better off to leave it at that or am i looking for trouble if i upgrade it so i can get the apps that require newer version...please give me your opions ..thanks

Thanks

If you are on official carrier you would just update normally in itunes then rejailbreak with redsnow 0.9.6rc8. It isnt hard to do and 4.2.1 is not terrible on a iPhone 3G. So it is really up to you if you want to go through all that for some apps.

what do you mean by official carrier

Thanks

If you have a iPhone locked to ATT then your official carrier would be ATT for example.

i have not unlocked it & im with rogers so i would guess iPhone locked to rogers, do i have to unjailbreak it first , then update to 4.3.3 then when i jb it it will go to 4.2.1 and last of all do i have to save shsh blobs before i start all this or am i good with 3g iphone ...thanks again

Thanks

There is no 4.3.3 for iPhone 3G. 4.2.1 is as high as you can go. Just by updating it will remove your jailbreak.

when i open up itunes a window pops up & saids a new iphone software version(4.3.3) is available for the iphone do you wish to download it and update your iphone now

Thanks

Then that means you have a iPhone 3GS, not a 3G. So you would just update to 4.3.3 and use redsnow 0.9.6rc16 to jailbreak it in that case.

thanks for your help , i did the way you said ...upgraded via of itunes downloaded redsnow read alot of info on it followed instructions exactly but cant get to the ipfw ... i cant find the ipfw on my pc running windows seven...when you install redsnow does it also installs the ipfw in a folder ,im confused at this point ..hope you can help me here ...thanks

Thanks

Just download the firmware manually from the downloads section at the top of the page.

went to download section & dl iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 to desktop , ,opened in desktop clicked on iPhone3GS_iOS4.3.3_Custom_UN_Activated_Pwangetool. zip then itunes open ?? what next please ...thanks

Thanks

It shouldnt be a .zip. You need to either rename the extension to .ipsw or redownload it with firefox.

Thanks

you need an official ipsw for redsn0w and the one you listed is a custom ipsw (definitely didn't download that from this site as links to custom ipsw's are against forum rules), download the official from here using either chrome or firefox and point itunes at it (it should end in ipsw not zip so if you are using something other than chrome or firefox you will need to change the file extension to ipsw from zip). once the restore is complete use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to jailbreak. if you have a mac you can follow this guide to restore and jailbreak Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums at ModMyi - PwnageTool, redsn0w, & ultrasn0w Updated for 4.3.3 Untethered

im still not understanding it , i did a complete factory restore no problem , open redsnow > browse for ipfw but i just cant find it need some more advice please ...thanks

Thanks

Ok. First download firefox (google it). Then in firefox go here: iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - Downloads - ModMyi Forums

Download that firmware file to your computer. Open redsnow click browse and point it to that firmware file (it will most likely be in your downloads folder).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

spongeboy (2011-05-30)

in the above post you told me i have a 3gs iphone & you were correct , so should i dl 4.3.3 ..thanks

Thanks

Yes sorry, get the 4.3.3 one j3st3r gave you a link to. But make sure to download it with firefox.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

spongeboy (2011-05-30)

thanks finally got everything going , but i still have a problem , i try ti install game or what ever with cydia it looks all ok i get the scrolling then complete message , when i go too look for it its not there, so i installed ********** & pretty much the same thing , whats happening any ideas , i hate to go through a new insatll of firmaware , but is that what i should do please let me know ...thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast