Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HELP] iPhone 4

Default [HELP] iPhone 4
    Hi, Sorry If This Is In The Wrong Section ..

Right Basically .. The Other Day I Dropped My iPhone Into Water Took It Straight Out, Took The Sim & Battery Out And Let The Phone Dry Out For 3 - 4 Days.
    Put The Phone Back Together, Plugged It Into My Laptop Ran iTunes.

The Apple Logo Comes On And Then Goes To The " Connect To iTunes " Picture. Came Up On iTunes That The Phone Was In Recovery Mode So I Went About Trying To Update/Reinstall The Firmware. When It Trys To Install The Firmware However I Get Error Code 23.

Does Anyone Know Any Possible Way To Fix This Problem Or Am I Aswell To Just Scrap The Phone?
    All Help Would Be Appreciated

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It seems like a hardware issue. I don't know exactly what 23 is but you might consider disassembling and reassembling it. Could be the battery. Could be corrosion.

You would want to clean the parts with iso alcohol (above 95% and nothing less). That should clear off water residue and prevent further corrosion. Leave it to dry after cleaning for a day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LeeMoonan (2011-05-25)

At First It Started With Error 1611 Then 1033 After Playing About With It For A Bit I Got Error 23 And No Matter What I Do Wether Its Just Plugging It In Or Trying To Get It Into DFU Mode iTunes Hits Me With 23

I'll Try What You Said Right Enough Because At This Point I Would Try Anything To Get My iPhone Working

Thanks

This is what the iphone wiki has to say about your problem,

Cannot restore or update due to hardware problems.
    In software you have to set default web browser.
    In hardware, it's a communication problem. Check all connections, also try to change battery.
    faulty baseband flash or processor
    Happens frequently after water damage. Remove and clean motherboard.

Try putting the phone a bowl of rice (un-cooked lol) for a further couple of days, it should help to draw out any more moisture, make sure it's well covered then try again. good luck!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mickish1953 For This Useful Post:

LeeMoonan (2011-05-25)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

+1, just be sure to use the alcohol. That will allow rice to dry up more if not all moisture and water residue.

Thanks For The Help .. After A Bit Of Cleaning And What Have You .. Put It Onto iTunes To See If It Was Still The Same Fault .. Hit Restore And It Completed The Restore After A Bit I Got The " There Is No Sim To Activate This iPhone " Or What Have You ( Cause I Took The Sim Out When It Happened ) Altho This Is The Tricky Part ..

When I Press The Unlock ( Botton On Top Lol ) Nothing Happens .. When I Push It A Second Time The Screen Comes On For A Split Second Then Goes Back Off. This Only Happens Every Two Push's
    I Can See The Connect To Itunes Logo And Slide To Unlock Or Whatever But The Screen Wont Stay On

Anyone Any Idea's What This Could Be Because Im Really Hoping I Can Get This Working Again Lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Could be some hardware sustained some damage. It could be the screen, or the flex cable for the power button. Don't know which. Best I can suggest is to clean the flex cables and the power button again. If that doesn't work you might have to do some trial and error and replace the power button or the screen or both.

Thanks For Your Help .. I'll Give That A Bash And Let You Know What Happens

Success after a bit of playing around cleaning and checking connections the phone is fully functional every button, every speaker, cameras the lot.

Thanks for the help everyone

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Awesome. Glad it wasn't irreversible damage

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CParks (2011-06-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yesterday I had to jump into a pool to save a 4 yr old....without thinking (mommy mode) I had keys, watch and iphone in my pockets

Well I saved the baby but now working on saving my iphone!

I put it into a bowl of rice overnight. Today I plugged it into the computer and after about 2 minutes I heard Itunes recognize it so I looked and it said device in recovery.

So I went to Tiny Umbrella and kicked it out of recovery...it took a while I just left it laying there. Eventually I heard Itunes recognize it again! This time I was able to back up my phone and import all my pictures so hopefully I was able to save something...now my problem is...

I just have a blank screen..any ideas? My phone is talking (i guess in search, playing music) all on its own..I cant see anything so ANY and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah actually there's a great solution, if you've got the desire to follow

Grab 99-100% isopropyl alcohol (95% is ok too but it's better to get as close to 100 as possible). I really suggest taking the glass/LCD off, it's really easy to do.

Once you have that prepared, put the phone into the alcohol (submerge completely) for 10-15 minutes. The screen you should just wipe clean with the isopropyl alcohol with a lint-free towel. Now put everything and put it in rice for a night.

Your phone should be fine then assuming no corrosion or damage was incurred. You can put your phone back together after you dry it.

What the iso alcohol does is clean off any residue from water that can cause future corrosion and damage. It does not conduct electricity so it will not harm the device.

If this is an iPhone 4, the screen might be more difficult to take off. I have personally put my entire phone into the iso alcohol without taking the screen off, but it is really recommended to take it off if you can.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CParks (2011-06-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The really bad thing about this is the timing! Yesterday I had been on the phone with AT&T and Apple all day about the "call drop" this phone drops more calls than any phone I every owned! They have multiple notes about me calling and I have an appointment for them to call me MONDAY to file it under warranty! Now it has water damage! Of course when they asked me that just a few hourse before I jumped in the pool I said NOPE!

GRRR

ok thanks Annie! I am willing to take the screen off if I had proper instructions....have any ideas where I can find them?

And sorry yes it is an iphone 4...sorry I didnt see that.
    Last edited by CParks; 2011-06-27 at 01:27 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ah yeah it's easy to take the screen off on 3GS/3G. I believe on iPhone 4 you'd end up disassembling the phone to get the screen off. I would recommend watching YouTube videos, I watch them over and over again until I know the steps by heart. That way you won't screw it up.

Like I said, I've put my entire phone in before without taking the screen off but I recommend that if you can you should. The problem if you don't is that there can be slight staining of the screen but that's not always the case. I don't know about iPhones bc they are so well built, but I had it happen to my stupid HTC HD2. it fixed my phone but stained the screen. But the HTC screens are so poorly built meaning there are a lot of crevices and holes to seep through, not like the iPhone where it is well sealed IMO.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CParks (2011-06-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One more problem...sorry for the posts.

I checked the screws on the iphone 4 at the AT&T store today and it was a phillips screws. Mine is star shaped and I do not have that tool Actually I dont even know what kind it is....Maybe I should just drop it into the alcohol. How long should I leave it in the alcohol if I do this? Anything else I should remove besides the sim tray?

I just found a good video of removing the screen. I would like to do that so I could "fix" the water damage
    Last edited by CParks; 2011-06-27 at 01:38 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's torx screws. There are cheap kits online for torx screwdrivers. The newer model iPhone 4's have torx screws. And yes you should remove the SIM tray as well. You can leave it in the iso alcohol for between 10-15 minutes. Some people say 30-60 minutes but that's up to you. It doesn't matter how much longer really just as long as you have it in for at least 10-15 to let the iso alcohol seep in and wash over the internal parts well enough.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CParks (2011-06-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok one last question...I cant find any 95-99% I have went to every store and every friend I have 91% is that too risky to use the 91%

Also thanks so much for assisting my issues today I appreciate your time and help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I bought mine from Amazon. 99%. 91% is no good. I don't even like risking to use 95% bc that's 5% water which is what caused the damage to begin with. It's like $10 a bottle. And no problem on the assistance, I hope it'll work out for you.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CParks (2011-06-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

okie dokie thanks again I will go to Tyler tomorrow to search for what I need! I may be lucky enough to even find a screwdriver in my search! I will post the outcome when I have one

P.S. you all are amazing on this board I am so glad I found you all!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

cool stuff. Can't wait to hear you say you've fixed it then