Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Regretting jailbreaking my iPhone :-(

Default Regretting jailbreaking my iPhone :-(
    I jailbroke my iPhone 3GS yesterday and at first I thought it was pretty cool, but today I have started having a few problems. I can't download any apps through Cydia. First of all it was saying that it couldn't find the Sandcastle, then it started saying POSIX Operation Timeout. I can't use my voicemail as it crashes and restarts in 'Safe Mode' when I end the call. IT has started crashing and doing very odd things whenever I'm in a phone call. I'm beginning to think that jailbreaking was a bad idea, but I would be very happy if I could fix these crashes and enjoy a jailbroken phone. What should I do to fix these issues?

Thanks

Restore and try try again

I'm new to jailbreaking and I wouldn't know where to start to perform a restore. Where can I find a tutorial?

Thanks

Try our guides section

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Do a restore to 4.3.3 and rejailbreak with redsn0w. Be sure after jb to go to Cydia and do any necessary updates such as going to the changes tab and allowing any upgrades that show up.

You might do the updates now in Cydia to see if that alleviates the problems. If not then do the restore.

I was told by a friend to restore to 4.3.1 because there will still be a lot of bugs in 4.3.3. How do I update jailbreak apps in Cydia. I looked through it, but couldn't find anything to do with updating

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Like Annie said, do a restore to 4.3.3 again, activate with your sim card and jailbreak with Redsn0w RC16 or 17. update Cydia, setup iphone as new iphone and start everything fresh, you can do your theming, sync back apps from itunes and so forth. If you have purchased some stuffs from Cydia, you can always get it back without paying again.

Is that the only way to update apps in Cydia - by reinstalling them?

Thanks

You can use Pkgbackup , aptbackup or backup extractor to backup your cydia stuffs. You have to read the instructions carefully on how to do it or if that is too much trouble, reinstalling everything one by one is the best thing to do but it takes time.

I'm asking how to UPDATE apps in Cydia, not back them up

Thanks

What kind of apps are you talking about ?

All jailbreak apps. I expected there to be an option in Cydia to check for updates for the apps installed

when an app in cydia has an update. it will show a badge in changes section, then show the updates available.

Thanks

If you are referring to pirated apps, sorry we don't teach people to steal apps and piracy is strictly prohibited here in this forum. We only teach on jailbreaking and issues on restoring of iphones.

If you install e.g like Shrink app from cydia, , all you have to do is run cydia and if there is an update, it will show .

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    If you are referring to pirated apps, sorry we don't teach people to steal apps and piracy is strictly prohibited here in this forum. We only teach on jailbreaking and issues on restoring of iphones.
    No. I'm asking how to update jailbreak apps e.g. MCleaner, iFile, PDAnet