Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade jailbroken iphone w/o losing apps and w/o using itunes

Default Upgrade jailbroken iphone w/o losing apps and w/o using itunes
    I have a jailbroken iphone 4 running a very early release of ios4 and have recently hit a wall where i need the newest firmware to update any of my apps . the problem is that any time i connect my iphone to itunes all of my 'jailbroken' apps get deleted, so backin up an restoring with itunes is probably out of the question.

i have access to ubuntu, osx and windows 7 if that's any consolation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Well the part about "jailbroken apps" disappearing sounds like you are using cracked apps/piracy. Modmyi does not help with piracy.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Cydia apps would not be lost if you were to backup your iPhone with iTunes so that would be okay to do

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    Cydia apps would not be lost if you were to backup your iPhone with iTunes so that would be okay to do
    iTunes does not back up cydia apps. You would lose them if you upgrade with iTunes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

That's if you upgrade you do. But the user said everytime he connects to itunes it deletes the "jailbroken apps" Which is what happens when people use cracked apps. So no helping there.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

In regards to needing to upgrade firmware to use certain apps, legit bought apps should sync right into iTunes and vice versa. Cydia apps can be backed up with pkgbackup or aptbackup but I don't rely on those I just reinstall manually. Pretty quick and easy if you go through your packages list and write it all down, then queue them all up after your upgrade to install at one time.

HOWEVER like cer0 said, anything in regards to cracked apps we don't help with. If that was what you need help on, well Cer0 I think the thread should be closed.

If my response is all that you need to understand and go through your firmware upgrade, then that's fine.