Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 Jailbreaking/Unlocking for T-Mo on Macbook

Default Iphone 4 Jailbreaking/Unlocking for T-Mo on Macbook
    Hi Guys!!

I just got my hands on a Iphone4. I need some help unlocking this to work on Tmobile. After Modmyi updated the site IDK where all the guides are to unlock.

Iphone 4
    Version 4.0(8A293)
    Modem Firmware 01.59.00
    Unlock/Jailbreaking on Macbook

I don't wanna upgrade my Iphone4 to a newer version if i don't have to. Don't want to risk upgrading my Modem Firmware. What the easiest way to Jailbreak/Unlock for T mobile?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you're ok with 4.0, simply use Limera1n or redsn0w to jailbreak. Unlock with ultrasn0w in Cydia after you jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    If you're ok with 4.0, simply use Limera1n or redsn0w to jailbreak. Unlock with ultrasn0w in Cydia after you jailbreak.
    What the difference between 4.0 and 4.3.3 if u don't mind me asking...

also i found a post you put up earlier http://modmyi.com/forums/general/737...g-3gs-4-a.html

If i just follow the first power that should be fine right?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

To be totally honest, my guides are written shorthand for people with some (not a lot but some) experience in jailbreaking. That guide doesn't go as much detail as a beginner would need HOWEVER if you have some experience or feel confident in yourself to do this, it would be sufficient.

I think you should upgrade to 4.3.3 if you feel like you're up for it and won't get lost in my instructions. But if you feel like it is too much or you're hesitant, it'd be a lot easier to just stay on 4.0. But I really feel that 4.0 is a bit outdated now. Follow the steps precisely and you'll be fine

I followed up to step "7"
    7) When iTunes finishes restoring, you should have access to your springboard if you chose to activate. If you have a SIM and chose to not activate, open iTunes and activate with your SIM now.

and i get hit up an Error Message "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build" What happened? what did i do wrong? please advise...
    iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macfanboy89 View Post
    I followed up to step "7"
    7) When iTunes finishes restoring, you should have access to your springboard if you chose to activate. If you have a SIM and chose to not activate, open iTunes and activate with your SIM now.

and i get hit up an Error Message "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build" What happened? what did i do wrong? please advise...
    iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages
    Are you restoring to iOS 4.3.3?

The only ways you'll be able to do that without updating your baseband (absolutely essential for the unlock) is to use a custom firmware or be running the TinyUmbrella TSS Server... but both those options will require some TinyUmbrella trickery to get the system working correctly (as Saurik's SHSH caching server is still on the fritz and isn't working properly--SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3 have to initially come from Apple directly without passing through Cydia's cache).

Im trying to restore to 4.3.3 firmware. I followed everything in the guide

"http://modmyi.com/forums/general/737295-general-info-jailbreaking-guides-iphone-3g-3gs-4-a.html"

I restored it with the "Custom" firmware i build with PwnageTool... but when I try restoring it with the firmware i built i get an error MSG.

Does this have anything to do with my phone being on 4.0 previous and im restoring it to 4.3.3???
    Also I do have baseband at 01.59.00 and I don't want to risk losing it

Thanks

Im trying to restore to 4.3.3 firmware. I followed everything in the guide

"http://modmyi.com/forums/general/737295-general-info-jailbreaking-guides-iphone-3g-3gs-4-a.html"

I restored it with the "Custom" firmware i build with PwnageTool... but when I try restoring it with the firmware i built i get an error MSG.

Does this have anything to do with my phone being on 4.0 previous and im restoring it to 4.3.3???
    Also I do have baseband at 01.59.00 and I don't want to risk losing it
    Okay. This is where that "TinyUmbrella trickery" comes in. I am assuming you've installed this software on your computer (or have edited your hosts file to point to Cydia's TSS server)?

Open TU, and UNCHECK the "Request SHSH from Cydia" and "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" boxes. Close then re-open TU, and try saving your iPhone 4's SHSH blobs locally. Once you obtain the 4.3.3 blobs, start the TSS Server, and try your restore from Pwned DFU mode again. If you don't have TU installed, but instead went with the manual host file edit, I'd recommend installing TU, and then proceeding that way.

Where do I download "TinyUmbrella"??

What steps do I have have to do now??

Where do I download "TinyUmbrella"??

What steps do I have have to do now??
    Never really done it with TU... always done it on Pwnage Tool all the way on the 3G.. new at this... please advise =]
    Last edited by Macfanboy89; 2011-05-25 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You can get tiny umbrella from here: The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Only use tiny umbrella to do the thing orby set about unchecking the box in advanced that says "set hosts to cydia on exit". After that close tiny umbrella.

DO NOT restore to a regular 4.3.3 firmware. Try the option restore to the custom firmware but make sure you are entering pwned DFU with pwnage tool first.

What error were you getting before when trying to restore to the custom firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You can get tiny umbrella from here: The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Only use tiny umbrella to do the thing orby set about unchecking the box in advanced that says "set hosts to cydia on exit". After that close tiny umbrella.

DO NOT restore to a regular 4.3.3 firmware. Try the option restore to the custom firmware but make sure you are entering pwned DFU with pwnage tool first.

What error were you getting before when trying to restore to the custom firmware.
    After getting the phone into DFU mode with Pwnage Tool...i did "Option" retore and got an error..

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Check to make sure your firmware is one that is made for your phone. For example iPhone 3G should start with iphone1,2 and iPhone 3GS is iphone2,1 and iPhone 4 is iphone3,1 etc.

Thanks

After getting the phone into DFU mode with Pwnage Tool...i did "Option" retore and got an error..

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"
    What custom firmware are you trying to restore to? 4.3.1/4.3.2/4.3.3?

What custom firmware are you trying to restore to? 4.3.1/4.3.2/4.3.3?
    I currently have 4.0 on the phone already on the phone. I created custom firmware 4.3.3 as stated in the guide. Is there something wrong with that??

I downloaded the firmware from "http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/"

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Device eligibility can refer to not using the right firmware for a particular device. It can also refer to an SHSH requirement. However, it seems if you're wanting to go to 4.3.3 you don't need SHSHs. You can do the following:

1) Ensure you have the right firmware file for your particular device. Read the above post I made, if it is an iPhone 3G the file with start with iPhone1,2, if it is an iPhone 3GS it starts with iPhone2,1 etc.
    2) Open TinyUmbrella (if you don't have TinyUmbrella then don't worry about this step) and in Advanced uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit.
    3) Have redsn0w and a 4.3.3 ipsw, use that to put your phone into pwned DFU mode (nothing else, don't checkmark Cydia, or anything except DFU)
    4) Then open iTunes now (if you had it opened before, close it and open it again) and try the restore to your custom firmware again.

Thanks

The device ineligible is when you dont have (or cant get for whatever reason) the SHSH for the firmware you are trying to restore to. If you have the wrong firmware for your device itunes will give you a wrong firmware error message.

What Annie said to do is correct, it sounds like your hosts are not pointed to Apple if you are getting that error when trying to restore to 4.3.3. Follow her steps and you should be fine. Do not skip step 2 even if you dont have tiny umbrella, in that case download it and do what she says to do with it.

The device ineligible is when you dont have (or cant get for whatever reason) the SHSH for the firmware you are trying to restore to. If you have the wrong firmware for your device itunes will give you a wrong firmware error message.

What Annie said to do is correct, it sounds like your hosts are not pointed to Apple if you are getting that error when trying to restore to 4.3.3. Follow her steps and you should be fine. Do not skip step 2 even if you dont have tiny umbrella, in that case download it and do what she says to do with it.

Thanks I will try it again when I get home.

But one problem is that im currently stuck in DFU mode I THINK (I did the Home button/power Button thing and my screen went black) its stuck @ a black screen. Should i just continue with Annie's steps where when the phone is already in DFU mode or should i Kick it out of DFU mode first and trying again on a fresh slate?? If i do have to kick it out of DFU mode how would i do so?? I try doing it via Tiny Umbrella it doesnt work...??

Also this is an IPHONE 4 if it matters.

Thanks

You can continue with Annie's steps if you are already in DFU. Redsnow will see it in DFU and do its thing.

Hey I just got my IP4 an hour ago, ive got quite a bit of jail dealing experience, I tried to follow your guide but I'm thinking it's for the unlock and not just a JB. I have att and for where I live that's the only service.

That being said, do you have a jailbreak for 4.3.3 you recommend (and a guide)?

Thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can't unlock without jailbreaking first, so it's likely not a strictly unlocking guide.

If you're already on 4.3.3 just run redsn0w 0.9.6rc17 on it and you can jailbreak it.